Workshops to focus on increasing safety

Jill Sederstrom

ISU Police and the Margaret Sloss Women’s Center are teaming up to put on a series of workshops every Thursday this September that will focus on increasing student safety.

The topic this Thursday is sexual assault, stalking and relationship violence. It will be held from 6 to 8 p.m. in the wrestling room of the Lied Recreation Center.

Each session in the Safety Series has a presentation about an important safety issue followed by self-defense instruction, said Julie Harders, program manager for the Department of Public Safety.

The self-defense tactics will be taught by ISU Police officers.

Shea Rentschler, event coordinator for the center, said the goal of the Safety Series is to empower students to make safer choices.

“I think the students who attend all or parts of the Safety Series will gain a better understanding of what campus resources are available to them, as well as an introduction to self-defense tactics, which can be useful in making women and men feel empowered to fight back,” she said.

Penny Rice, coordinator of the Margaret Sloss Women’s Center, said they have put on similar safety classes for the past three or four years.

This, however, is the first year for the multi-session format. The self-defense skills are also a new addition.

Rice said the series started after a student approached the center with the idea. She was upset that no program of this sort was offered at Iowa State.

Students who attended the first session last week on general safety tips seemed to enjoy the event, Rentschler said.

“The first event was a positive experience for the group of students who attended,” she said. “I think they learned a lot about general safety tips.”

The session will differ from other formats on Sept. 19. ISU Police will be staging a mock rape trial from 6 to 9 p.m. in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union.

There will be actual lawyers, a judge and professional witnesses from the community participating in the mock trial, Harders said.

There will not be a self-defense class following this session.

The topic for the last session on Sept. 26 will be computer and Internet crimes. It will be held from 6 to 8 p.m. in the Lied Recreation Center.

Harders said students who attend should dress appropriately. She suggested they wear comfortable clothes.

“We are hoping this format will be one that students are encouraged to attend,” Harders said.