Laureate doesn¡t let rEsumE define her

Stefanie Peterson

Learning to balance school, work and free time is something Sarah Bauer, a senior at Iowa State, is just beginning to master.

I¡m reaching the point of burnout right now,Œ the chemical engineering and music student said. It¡s a matter of keeping organized and busy. I seem to get more done when I have too much to do, rather than when I don¡t have enough to do.Œ

Bauer is one of three students in the nation named a Tau Beta Pi Laureate for 2002. Though she was honored by receiving the award, she said recognition isn¡t essential.

I wouldn¡t call it a milestone,Œ she said. Achievements aren¡t terribly important to me, though [the award] is a good affirmation of the work I¡ve done. I define myself by who I am rather than what I can put on my rEsumE.Œ

At Tau Beta Pi¡s 97th annual convention on Oct. 5, Bauer will receive $2,500 in cash and a commemorative plaque, according to an ISU news release.

Recognized for excellence in engineering and music, she said her passions can be traced back to her upbringing in St. Charles, Ill.

My parents started me in piano lessons in first grade and I continued through my freshman year of high school,Œ Bauer said. When I was in grade school I wanted to play the flute. I started in fifth grade and in eighth grade I took lessons from my band director.Œ

Bauer is persistent and helpful, said Sarah Allard, a friend of Bauer¡s.

Sarah never quits. She always strives for more and never settles for mediocre,Œ said Allard, senior in music. [She] always wants to make the situation as beneficial as possible to everyone involved.Œ

Bauer still remembers her first encounter with the flute.

The first time I picked it up I got a sound out of it,Œ she said. It just felt right.Œ

Engineering has provided similar gratification, Bauer said.

I was always a good student in math and science, and since I like those two areas, [engineering] seemed like a good fit for me,Πshe said.

Kenneth Jolls, professor of chemical engineering, said he¡s interacted with Bauer both in and outside the classroom. She played with his jazz group at the Ames Public Library last spring.

She¡s a very bright, bubbly person,Œ he said. She¡s been a musician for a very long time, and she has the ability and motivation to do it well.Œ

Bauer called her summer internship at CIMA Lab Inc. in Eden Prairie, Minn., her most rewarding learning experience.

It taught me about my personality and the sort of work environment I like,Œ Bauer said. I never thought I¡d like management but I ended up doing it.Œ

Dennis Smith, communications specialist for engineering communications and marketing, said he enjoys working with Bauer through the College of Engineering. He said her skills reach beyond engineering and music to include outstanding leadership.

People like her could head corporations and lead countries. Born leaders can do what they want and she¡s certainly one of them,Œ Smith said.

Allard said she met Bauer at flute auditions her freshman year.

She stood out to me because she was the only person in the hallway full of nervous flutists who was talking,Œ Allard said. She seemed very positive and anxious to start a new year.Œ

Allard said her first encounter with Bauer quickly grew into friendship.

In the past three years I¡ve gotten to know [Sarah} due to her honesty and ability to communicate,Œ she said.

Honesty is one of Bauer¡s strongest qualities, Allard said.

Sarah tells the truth. If you are feeling bad about your flute playing, she will find something positive about it and tell you,Œ she said. I always appreciate that she will compliment someone whenever she recognizes something great about that person.Œ

Bauer said she uses her limited spare time to visit her boyfriend, whom she met at Iowa State. He currently lives in Minnesota. She also tries to stay active by biking and doing yoga when she has time.

Though she is still contemplating graduate school, Bauer is sure of one thing.

I¡m definitely moving back to the Minneapolis area,Œ she said.