Informal recruitment just beginning for sororities

Stefanie Peterson

Women interested in joining a sorority haven’t missed their chance yet.

Though formal recruitment wrapped up last week, informal recruitment is beginning for those interested in joining a chapter.

Last year, 13 of the 15 sororities recruited informally, said Lori Hughes, prospective student liaison for the Panhellenic Council.

Hughes, junior in elementary education, participated in informal rush her freshman year.

“I wanted to work on figuring out college and being on my own the first semester I was here,” she said. “I didn’t start recruiting until the winter.”

For informal recruitment, the chapter invites women to eat, go bowling or participate in other activities, Hughes said.

“I was able to form friendships and see how the chapter women live on a day-to-day basis,” she said.

The only disadvantage to informal recruitment is that you aren’t able to meet with every chapter the way you can during formal recruitment, Hughes said.

“With informal recruitment, potential members can decide how long they want the process to take,” Hughes said.

Many students aren’t aware of the process that goes into formal recruitment, said Erin Fett, vice president of recruitment for ISU Panhellenic Council.

“The girls move into their residence halls a week early and begin visiting every chapter,” she said.

Both the chapter members and potential pledges narrow down their choices as the week goes on, Fett said.

“On Bid Day, all the women in the recruitment class go to the Rec in the early afternoon for the recruitment rally,” she said. “Then they receive their bid cards, which are the invitation to join a chapter.”

Cheri Fenton, freshman in liberal arts and sciences, said formal recruitment was “a nice way to get to know every house.”

“It was a chance to see all the options before I chose one,” she said.

Fenton said she liked spending longer periods of time at the houses as she narrowed them down.

“After spending some time at each house, I could tell which girls were genuine and which ones weren’t,” she said.

Fenton said her decision on Preference Night came down to “every little aspect” separating her top two choices.

In the end, Fenton decided Alpha Delta Pi was a perfect fit for her.

“I’m looking forward to working on our philanthropy, the Ronald McDonald house, because you know you’re doing something for a good cause,” she said.