Program strives to keep graduates in Iowa

Stefanie Peterson

Twenty ISU students spent their summer in rural Iowa communities completing 10-week internships through Iowa State’s Life in Iowa program.

The program approaches its second season with two goals, said Nancy Bevin, program coordinator.

“We want to enrich the learning experience of undergraduates and help invest in the future of Iowa,” she said.

The program emphasizes leadership, development and service by having students learn in the classroom and practice in the community, Bevin said.

Participation in the program requires students to complete a subsidized internship and service learning project in a rural Iowa community.

“We have students do internships in local food systems, social service agencies, environmental organizations, local political offices and nonprofit cultural organizations,” Bevin said.

The program aims to keep students in Iowa after graduating, she said.

“The message students often receive is that if they want to be successful and well-educated, they should demonstrate that by leaving Iowa,” Bevin said. “We want them to realize that there are bright, energetic and successful people here that make contributions to the places they live in and students should rethink leaving.”

The program, worth 11 academic credits, begins with Liberal Arts and Sciences 350L, a class where students prepare for their internships by learning about Iowa communities and ecosystems, said Shellie Orgarv, assistant coordinator.

The class is worth three credits, the internship and service learning project earn seven credits and a re-election seminar following the experience provides one credit, she said.

Communities around Iowa are selected by working through the ISU Extension office and talking with extension directors in rural areas.

“I think this program provides students with a wonderful appreciation for Iowa’s culture,” Orgarv said. “They truly become a party of the communities they live in for the summer by living with community members and creating a home for themselves in these new places.”

Well-known personalities like farmer and poet Michael Carey visit the LAS 350L class to illustrate successful lives in Iowa, she said.

“These people are an inspiration to our students because they are doing great things and leading wonderful lives right here in our state,” Orgarv said.

Before students even arrive at Iowa State, they’ve been told by their families and teachers that Iowa has nothing to offer, she said.

“This program is a way to tell people, `Stop it. Take a look around,'” she said.

Craig Poppe, sophomore in pre-business, conducted his internship and service learning project at a nonprofit museum in Decorah.

“I was a marketing intern, which was great for me because I got job experience and learned about opportunities in Iowa,” he said. “I realized that there are opportunities here for anyone with any major, and people should think about staying after graduation.”

Poppe said he’s not sure where he’ll end up after graduation, but Iowa will be considered.

Lindsey Black, student coordinator and participant in the program, said the participants last year were a diverse group with different majors and interests.

“This program is open to anyone, not only to certain majors,” said Black, junior in agricultural business.

She said the program helped her make connections she couldn’t have made otherwise.

“It was a great way to network with people I wouldn’t have normally met,” Black said.

She said her experience as a 4-H Club intern with the Jasper County Extension office in Newton was more challenging and rewarding than she expected.

“This experience gave me a great appreciation for Iowa as a state,” Black said. “After graduation, I will stay here without a doubt.”