Businesses offer food, clothing alternatives

Nicole Paseka

While most students were absent from Ames this summer, several local businesses were preparing for the returning crowds this fall. Two of these businesses, Zushy* and Minsky’s Pizza, will provide students with some alternatives in fashion and food. Zushy* opened its doors on Aug. 19, and Minsky’s Pizza is planning to open early this fall after it completes an extensive renovation.

Zushy*

When people think of fashion with an edge, Ames doesn’t immediately come to mind.

Liza Kindred and Amber Hathaway hope to change that. The two women have worked together during the past four years to bring Zushy*, 2406 Lincoln Way, to the Ames community.

The royal purple boutique in Campustown is home to a distinctive line of clothing that locals are describing as “fashion with an edge.” The store’s name, Zushy*, is a take on the British slang word “shushy,” that means extravagant style.

“Our designs are about mixing it up and doing something really unexpected,” said Hathaway, 23, the store’s creative director. “You won’t find anything we have here at the malls.”

Zushy* opened its doors to the Ames community on Aug. 19.

“It’s been kind of crazy,” said Kindred, 24, the store’s owner. “The response that we’ve had has been overwhelming.”

Kindred said the majority of Zushy*’s customers are women in their late teens to early 20s, but the store is open to anyone who wants to “dress fashionably, with an edge.”

Some of the most popular items this fall have been refurbished tees, rhinestone-studded sweatshirts, vintage wear and belts made from men’s ties.

Hathaway said the belts have “sold out . four or five times already.”

Some of the merchandise sold at Zushy* is designed and produced in a studio located in the basement of the store.

Hathaway described working at Zushy* as her dream job. “I have creative control, and I work with my best friend,” she said.

Kindred, who grew up in Ames, said she decided to open Zushy* as a result of her frustrations with retail management.

“I love clothes. I love fashion. I love people, but I wanted to do it on my own terms,” she said.

Kindred said she was getting burned out with the mall environment of other stores. She said opening Zushy* will allow her to spend more time with her husband and young daughter.

Kindred said the prices range from $25 to $30 for T-shirts, $25 to $40 for tops and $50 to $80 for jeans.

“The prices are comparable to Express or Younkers, but the merchandise you can’t find anywhere else,” she said. Brand names include CX London, G Couture, Pleasant Pheasant, Taherti, American Apparel and the Naughty Secretary’s Club.

Hathaway said some people have questioned her about the decision to open Zushy* in Ames.

“A lot of people have asked us why we opened this store in Ames, Iowa,” Hathaway said.

“There’s really no other market here for what we have. Because of that, we’re selling out of stuff.”

Minsky’s Pizza

When students returned to Ames this August, they may have noticed one of Campustown’s trademark pizza venues, Minsky’s Pizza, had disappeared from its usual location on Welch Avenue.

Minsky’s Pizza will be back, although it will no longer be housed in Mickey’s Irish Pub. The restaurant has moved to a much larger 6,158-square-foot facility at 3605 Lincoln Way in West Ames.

Store owner Ben DuBois said he hopes the new, larger location will enable him to better serve the Ames community.

The new Minsky’s Pizza is located at a former Toyota dealership and is undergoing an extensive renovation. DuBois said the restaurant and lounge will be ready early this fall.

“It will be a good place for anyone to come – families, singles, dates, students,” he said.

Minsky’s will have a large dining area with two private dining rooms and a video game room, and a separate lounge complete with pool tables, foosball, darts, a big screen TV, music and a patio.

DuBois said he expects a large crowd when Minsky’s re-opens this fall, due to the relaxed, sit-down atmosphere of the restaurant and the fresh food, including pizza, nachos, sandwiches and salads.

He said Minsky’s is planning a grand-opening celebration sometime early this fall.

“I think we’re going to get a great crowd in the lounge,” DuBois said. “It will be a great place to go after work and unwind, to go out at night with friends, or even meet new ones.”