Negative publicity expected to diminish at Greenlee

Jessica Anderson

The Greenlee School of Journalism and Communication has been in the spotlight while dealing with governance issues. Despite negative publicity, ISU officials think there will be minimal impact on the school and the recruitment process.

“I think the initial publicity has had a negative effect,” said Provost Ben Allen. “I think the steps outlined by Dr. [Gregory] Geoffroy and the progress being made in addressing the issues will diminish the negative publicity.”

This publicity dates back to mid-May when then-Provost Rollin Richmond asked Department Chair John Eighmey and Associate Chair Joel Geske to step down from their leadership positions. Eighmey and Geske were reinstated to their positions by President Gregory Geoffroy.

Last week, following Eighmey’s yearly review with Peter Rabideau, dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Eighmey once again stepped down from his position as department chair.

“Eighmey has been in the position for six years and has done a lot, and has a lot of accomplishments,” Rabideau said. “Most of the faculty see moving on with a national search as the next phase.”

Rabideau said Eighmey will remain in the position until a new chair is found.

“Certainly the publicity has not been positive for the school,” said John McCarroll, director of university relations. “I think that when you have a situation like this, you get news coverage and that’s to be expected.”

Maureen Deisinger, academic advisor for the Greenlee School, believes the impact these changes will have on current and incoming students will be minimal.

“I think generally that there will not be a significant change in the recruitment process,” Deisinger said. “If [incoming students] heard about the situation, they may have questions, but I think the school is being very responsible and responsive to the issues.”

She said currently-enrolled students can expect to see more lectures in the short term, but the program will not change considerably in the long term.

In a letter to the school’s faculty, Rabideau said the issue is not racism. McCarroll agrees.

“I think it’s unfortunate that with so much attention to the word racism, it created a lot of confusion,” McCarroll said.

“I think to their credit, many of the faculty responded, wanting to make it clear. Rabideau also responded quickly.”

Allen said he agrees with Rabideau.

“Clearly, the environment was not conducive for productive work in many areas, but I think it’s simply a matter of climate and not racism,” he said.

Another issue outlined in the letter was professional faculty versus research faculty.

According to the letter, “Questions about leadership, and directions of the School – especially professional practice vs. research – have caused much of the discord.”

“I think the situation in the school has forced people to come together, and for the most part, the department has actually begun addressing more issues that have been simmering for a while,” Deisinger said.”In the grand scheme, it is something that needed to happen.”

Rabideau said he expects Geske to remain as associate chair.

“[Geske] certainly will be continuing when the Greenlee School brings in a new chair,” Rabideau said.

Allen and Rabideau said they do not expect many issues in searching for a department chair in the time of budget cuts.

“Many schools are facing budget cuts – Iowa State University is not unique in this,” Allen said. “The school and the university need to work extra hard to develop a strong pool of candidates. How we recruit will be very important.”

“We are hoping there will be individuals seeing this as an opportunity. We will bring people to campus and hope the great strength of Iowa State is enough to bring them in,” Rabideau said.

Eighmey and Geske were unavailable for comment.

“The Greenlee School is a very important academic unit and I am pleased we are making steps toward addressing the issues,” Allen said.