LGBT community rewards allies

Jessica Anderson

Allies in the ISU community were thanked by the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Ally Alliance at the fifth annual Ally Awards. The allies were rewarded Thursday in conjunction with Awareness Days.

“We are doing this to convey our respect for the outstanding allies on campus,” said Bronwyn Beatty-Hansen, president of the LGBTAA.

“Allies are very important to causes,” said Johnny Rogers, LGBT Student Services program coordinator. “Allies face a lot of the same discrimination and harassment as the LGBT community.”

Rogers said allies don’t always have the resources and support they need to learn how to be an ally.

“There is a process of coming out as an ally and not all LGBT folks have been welcoming of these people,” Rogers said.

Melodie Porter, sophomore in psychology, was the recipient of the Student Ally award.

“She’s kept persevering to learn more and to challenge homophobic and sexist remarks,” Rogers said. “Her work here has been very important.”

Rogers said one of Porter’s main projects has been helping to assemble a support group for the LGBT community.

“I’m just thankful that I have a family who taught me that everyone is equal no matter what,” Porter said.

Shenuka Peiris, graduate student in English, won the Faculty Ally award.

“For me, this award marks a beginning, a chance to nurture my need for freedom and justice for all,” Peiris said. “I have witnessed and been inspired by the strength that it takes to come out.”

Brooks Morse, staff psychologist with the Student Counseling Service, nominated Paulette Stronczek, who received the Staff Ally award.

“When Fred Phelps came to campus, Paulette offered her services as a crisis counselor,” Brooks said. “She speaks out for those who don’t have the power to.”

“As I was learning and speaking out, I began to meet some of the most beautiful people,” said Stronczek, staff psychologist in Student Services. “I truly believe that what allies do is what people should do every day.”

Sine Anahita, graduate student in agricultural sociology, nominated Sue Ellen Tuttle, recipient of the Community Ally award. She was nominated for supporting her son Jerryn Johnston, who has been the subject of harassment at Gilbert High School.

“The reason I’m here is because there is a whole community out there helping me help my son,” said Tuttle, communication specialist in family and consumer sciences.