Fireworks, battle of the bands light up ExTRAvaganza

Leah Eaton

Even inflatable games lifting off the ground couldn’t deter students from enjoying themselves at the Towers complex.

“The weather was really bad last year; we are hoping that doesn’t happen this year,” says Brian Macomber, senior in management information systems. “We don’t need any of our inflatable games in the air again.”

New inflatable games will join this year’s ExTRAvaganza activities this Saturday, which already include the Battle of the Bands and fireworks that rival the Fourth of July display, says Keith Twombley, director of this year’s events.

“This year we have better games and all local bands to bring more of a following out,” says Twombley, junior in computer science. “The fireworks will be bigger than the city of Ames’ show.”

“It’s not everyday that you get [fireworks] this size,” says Tony Luken, junior in philosophy. “It is going to be well worth it.”

The Battle of the Bands draws a crowd every year, and this year a special attempt was made to keep all of the bands local, Twombley says.

After e-mails were sent out to various local bands, and the word spread, demos of the songs were weeded through to choose the five bands the committee felt were the best.

The bands chosen for the competition are The Horseshoe Spatulas, For the Better, 8 miles out, Pyrocracker and Kountertop.

“We have a panel of judges, made up of [prominent] people from around campus,” Twombley says. “I haven’t exactly determined how the prize money will be distributed, but it will most likely be among the top three.”

The amount of prize money delegated for the bands is $750.

Members of the ExTRAvaganza committee expect a turnout much similar to last year – between 800 and 1000 students.

“It is a good Towers tradition, kind of like a nice big celebration for the residence halls,” Luken says. “Any ISU student can stop by for a little let-go time without all of the hoopla.”

In the event of rain, the inflatable games will be in the Towers Commons.