Schwennsen first woman in Iowa to receive American architects award

Jessica Anderson

Another first has occurred at Iowa State as Kate Schwennsen, associate dean of design, has been elected as an American Institute of Architects Fellow.

This year, 220 architects were nominated for this award.

Schwennsen is one of 68 American architects receiving the award this year and is the first woman in Iowa to obtain the position.

“It’s a little discouraging that I’m the first woman [in Iowa] to receive this award. You’d hope we would have come past some of these firsts,” Schwennsen said.

Robert Findlay, professor of architecture, nominated Schwennsen for the award.

“She plays a very important role her in the college and nationally,” Findlay said. “She represents architects in the region on the national board – she’s our pipeline.”

Findlay said the lack of recognition for women architects in Iowa was one of his motivations for the nomination, but that she is worthy in her own right.

“I’ve known her since she was a graduate student here at Iowa State,” Findlay said. “She was awarded tenure last year. There’s no stopping her.”

Findlay and Schwennsen are two of the five fellows in the College of Design.

“Most of these are in the category of their contribution to education, which is not always fully recognized at the national level,” Findlay said.

“It’s really more of an honorary award,” Schwennsen said. “When you become a fellow, you get to put FAIA behind your name.”

To be considered, the nominee must have been a member of the American Institute of Architects for ten years and have a “case that the candidate has made substantial contributions,” Findlay said.

There will be a recognition and induction ceremony for the fellows May 10 in Charlotte, North Carolina.

Schwennsen said she would like to see more women enter the field of architecture.

“Historically, women students have changed majors or dropped out at higher rates than male students,” she said, “though architecture has become one of the most female-oriented faculties.”

Findlay said only about one percent of American architects are selected for the award.

“I hope to be a role model in a way,” Schwennsen said. “I think it does make a difference in terms of our students understanding the opportunities for success if there are role models for them.”