COLUMN:Peace protest not a personal attack

Omar Tesdell

This has gotten out of hand and out of context. There has been much talk this week about a demonstration that took place last weekend during the Veishea celebration.

The purpose of this particular demonstration was not in any way a personal attack against the students running the booth. In fact, that is contrary to the very spirit of the group, which is to initiate constructive dialogue. The protest objected to the placement of a hands-on weapons display within Cy’s Big Top tent.

But the issue is more complex. While it is true that it’s preferable to not have children playing with weaponry, this was only part of the purpose. There is also cause for deep concern that the increased presence of the weapons of war eludes to a trend to validate violence as a means to solve disputes around the world.

For instance, a tank and armored personnel carrier were brought up from the Iowa National Guard base at Camp Dodge for show in our happy parade. There was a display of weaponry including an A-1 M-16 automatic rifle, anti-tank missile launcher and a Claymore-type mine, all in the children’s tent, intended for the visitors, including children, to handle them. The tank and armored personnel carrier were parked in front of the Memorial Union for all to view and climb around in.

From a nonviolence perspective, these blatant displays are part of a process to legitimize and further the cause of violence as an effective means of conflict resolution.

There is simply no discussion as to whether or not peace activists believe that Semper Fidelis had a right to be on campus during Veishea. Of course they are well within in their right to set up a booth to represent the organization.

However, the issue of the placement of the display inside a tent meant for children’s arts and games, with examples of weapons of war meant for the children to handle is another matter.

Regardless of how they got there, it is simply inappropriate for a Claymore-type mine, an A-1 model M-16 automatic rifle, artillery round and two anti-tank rocket launchers to be in an area described like this on Veishea’s Web site:

“There is fun for kids of all ages at Cy’s Big Top! The event is located west of Curtiss Hall on Central Campus. There will be activities for children to take part in including face painting, a petting zoo and carnival type games. Come join the FUN!”

Be they training tools with limited moving parts or not, the children and parents casually wandering by the booth could not tell. They were introduced as “the M-16 rifle” and so on. Although usually the question arose as to whether or not it was a “real” weapon, and the Marines did tell the kids that they were “demilitarized.” But there was no way to tell unless the question was asked.

The point was also brought up there was gun safety education taking place at the display. Indeed, firearm safety is also a critical element of education. That is not disputed. But how were the kids and parents supposed to know that it was a safety lesson? There were no signs explaining that these were firearm safety instructions being given.

And why were these lessons being given in a children’s carnival environment, demonstrated on a firearm that is a federal offense for a civilian to possess? What about the Claymore mine, artillery round and rocket launchers? Were lessons available for those armaments as well?

It’s my estimation that the safety lesson idea came about after the protesters did.

Furthermore, far-reaching correlations drawn between the military weapons and farm implements and LGBTAA posters are incongruous. Military hardware is designed, manufactured and implemented for the intentional destruction of life. Posters and tractors on the other hand, are not made to kill people.

The slinging back and forth of angry language this week has missed the point. The simple purpose of this specific demonstration was twofold: One, to politely express that a hands-on display of weapons of war should have another venue within the Veishea village, separate from the other games that the Marine tent offered; and two, to open the matter for healthy dialogue.

If the Veishea committee’s description of the Cy’s Big Top tent is any indication, the venue was intended for arts and games, and while the sit up and pull up contests at the Semper Fidelis booth fit that category, land mine and anti-tank rocket launcher handling does not.

The demonstration Saturday was in no way a personal attack on Semper Fidelis or ROTC, but rather an expression of criticism for an inappropriate placement of the weapons display. The armaments are very serious implements designed to end human life, and should be treated in that manner.

Had it been given its own area, the weapons display would have been available to those who desire to view it, and out of the direct path of the majority who came to play games.

Omar Tesdell is a sophomore in journalism and mass communication and technical communication from Slater. He is online editor of the Daily.