Protest calls for end to violence

Megan Hinds

Chants of “Stop the oppressor, free the oppressed” and “No freedom, no peace” drowned out the familiar bells of the Campanile on Thursday afternoon as part of Protest for Palestine and Peace.

Approximately 75 people gathered south of the Campanile to show support for Palestinians living in the war-torn Middle East.

The protest was organized by the Muslim Student Association. Mansoor Khadir, president of the association, said the protest was designed to make the ISU community aware of the volatile situation in the Holy Land.

“We want to bring attention to the injustice of the Palestinian people,” said Khadir, freshman in pre-business. “People need to know the Palestinian side of the story.”

The chants for justice were a prelude to “10 minutes of silence,” during which demonstrators sat without speaking as a way of honoring Palestinians killed by warfare.

“We sit in silence because the world is growing silent with each person killed,” said Ihab El-Kady, graduate student in physics and astronomy.

Several speakers stressed the significance of peace efforts in the Middle East and the United States’ support of Israel.

Michael Gillespie, Maxwell resident, called the actions of the United States “unconscionable.”

“Americans would be appalled to know what their country has supported,” Gillespie said.

Betsy Mayfield, Ames resident, emphasized the importance of dialogue between Jews and Muslims everywhere.

“I plead with you not to be silent,” she said. “People should look at both sides of the issue and learn.”

Not all who attended the demonstration supported the message of the speakers, however.

Martin Edelson, adviser to Hillel, Iowa State’s Jewish student organization, disagreed with the way the demonstrators conveyed their message.

Edelson, adjunct associate professor of mechanical engineering, said the protest “raised issues about peace and equality that deserved to be listened to.”

However, Edelson disagreed with the demonstrators’ use of graphic photographs of dead Palestinians.

“The photos tried to equate Nazi activities in World War II with Israeli actions against Palestinians today,” Edelson said.

Demonstrators were urged to sign a petition supporting the United States’ intervention in the Middle East peace process. The petition called for an official condemnation of the actions of Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon by the United States, as well as an end to U.S.-based tax aid to Israel.

Joel Taylor, freshman in pre-journalism and mass communication, signed the petition.

Taylor felt it was significant for students to be involved and be aware of issues such as the Middle East conflict.

“I think it’s important for students [to] know these issues in order to be voting citizens in the U.S.,” Taylor said.

– Katie List contributed to this article.