Dean candidate says diversity should be in everyday thoughts

Michaela Saunders

The first of three candidates for the open dean position of the College of Business said diversity is crucial for the college and must be approached proactively.

Two students and seven faculty and staff members joined James Koch (pronounced “Cook”) in a forum on diversity Monday afternoon.

Koch, professor of management, has six years of experience as a dean and is currently the director of the Center for Science, Technology and Society at Santa Clara University, Calif.

Teaching at the hub of technology, Koch sees diversity as a necessity.

“The vitality of Silicon Valley is a function of diversity,” he said. “[Iowa State] is a science and technology university.”

The underrepresentation of women is also a major concern for Koch. He said it is important to increase interest in technology among young girls, and legitimizing the women’s perspective of technology will help.

“That will make it OK for [women] to say, `I want to be a computer scientist,'” he said.

Koch said diversity needs to be included in everyday thought.

“We need to make diversity a conscious part of how we think about the future,” he said. “I’m not sure if we can get there with a hyphenated-American approach to diversity.”

Carla Espinoza, associate vice president for human resources and director of affirmative action, described Ames to Koch positively.

“The immediate community is inclusive,” Espinoza said.

“[The community] will extend an invitation to the party, but you need to make sure you get to dance.”

Koch said students should be provided opportunities to “dance” based on their merits as competent students.

“We need to create a society that uses all of its talents,” Koch said. “That’s not being politically correct, that’s trying to create a better world.”

Koch said it is important for a dean to work with department heads and administration.

“It is important to listen and try to understand,” Koch said. “What are the issues that the dean, in concert with department heads, should be addressing?”

He said one example of this could be the male/female faculty salary difference.

“Look at the salary,” Koch said. “Are differences justified? If not, then you do the right thing.”

Max Wortman, president-elect of the Faculty Senate and distinguished professor of management, said he hopes the college will be able to increase course offerings in diversity.

The second of three candidates for the Business College dean position will be on campus April 8.