Tesdell selected for Civil Rights Summer

Megan Hinds

Spending eight weeks learning about effecting social change from nationally recognized leaders at the nation’s capital was an experience Omar Tesdell knew he wanted to have.

Tesdell, sophomore in journalism and mass communication, was selected to attend Civil Rights Summer, an eight-week fellowship program for college students interested in civil rights and social justice.

Tesdell, online editor, editorial board member and columnist for the Daily, was one of approximately 20 students chosen from more than 2,000 applicants.

Students involved in Civil Rights Summer will spend one week at Harvard University and seven weeks in Washington, D.C. They will participate in workshops, group discussions and group projects pertaining to civil rights issues.

Tesdell said he is grateful to have the opportunity to work with others who are concerned with social justice, especially national civil rights leaders.

“It will be incredible to be around people so committed to bettering people’s lives,” he said.

Tesdell said he is looking forward to working with the “incredibly diverse” group of students at Civil Rights Summer.

“The organizers choose a group of Fellows that are racially, socio-economically, ethnically and geographically diverse,” Tesdell said. “I’m really looking forward to having my own perspective broadened by this experience.”

Besides his work at the Daily, Tesdell’s contributions to the ISU community include involvement with several campus organizations, including the University Honors Program, Veishea and Time For Peace.

Tesdell is also involved with organizations and events on campus relating to the conflict in the Middle East. He spoke at the Protest For Peace and Palestine Thursday.

Tesdell, who grew up in Saudi Arabia and Iowa, has relatives in the war-torn region.

“The Middle East is a sometimes very troubled place, and I’ve always really, really cared about the people there,” he said.

Tesdell credits his accepting and worldly outlook to support from his family and peers.

“I feel very fortunate to have people around me, such as parents, teachers and friends, who are very caring and concerned people – people concerned for the welfare of others who aren’t as fortunate,” he said.

John Eighmey, chairman of the Greenlee School of Journalism and Mass Communication, said Tesdell’s individual accomplishments are a good reflection of Iowa State as a whole.

“Omar stands as further encouragement to other students,” Eighmey said. “Given Iowa State’s tradition of education, we shouldn’t be surprised to see students accomplishing achievements at the national level.”