IRHA gives funding to ExTRAvaganza, has executive debate

Jyni Ekins

The Inter Residence Hall Association passed a bill to provide $2,500 to the Towers Residence Association for ExTRAvaganza, a day-long student-organized celebration.

The association postponed two items on its agenda, including impeaching a member for extended absences.

ExTRAvaganza, which used to be part of Veishea, will be on Saturday, April 6.

Dave Breutzmann, TRA at-large representative, said the event has bands and fireworks.

“ExTRAvaganza is an event Towers puts on every year,” said Breutzmann, junior in computer science. “People from Towers senate and IRHA help, but we can always use more people.”

Some of that money goes into the fireworks display, which Keith Twombley, TRA president, said will be “bigger than the Fourth of July fireworks in the city of Ames.”

An order to impeach the BLFF/N Hall representative, Sarai Arnold, for accumulating more than three unexcused absences, was also postponed until the next meeting.

Arnold was not present at the meeting. She said this was the first she had heard of the possibility of being impeached.

“I’ve been involved in mock trial,” said Arnold, freshman in biology. “I’ve been sending someone in my place, but I didn’t know they weren’t going. I try to keep up by reading the IRHA news each week.”

The two presidential and vice presidential slates held debates at Thursday’s meeting.

The first slate consists of Heather Minish, IRHA director of special events and Amber Hoermann, UDA vice president.

The second slate includes Keith Twombley, TRA president, and Jessi Raim, UDA at-large representative.

Both slates promised to increase involvement and communication with the Government of the Student Body and other student organizations, as well as to encourage students to register to vote for the election for Iowa’s next governor. Minish said she wants students to be better aware of services available to them.

“The students need to know what we can do for them,” said Minish, junior in industrial engineering. “A lot of students don’t even know what IRHA does.”

Other business included voting on two conference bills, one requesting the elimination of the conferences committee, whereas the other called for less drastic measures such as keeping the committee in IRHA, but making improvements.

The bill to eliminate the conferences committee failed 4-13; four members abstained.

The second bill, requesting members attending conferences sponsored by IRHA be held more accountable by putting on a program about what they learned, was postponed until a later date.