Dining Services director selected

Samantha Kaufman

Dining services on campus will undergo a number of changes next year, including a merger and a new director.

Jonathan Lewis accepted a position as the new director of Campus Dining Services April 5. As such, Lewis will manage dining services both with the Department of Residence and food services at the Memorial Union.

Lewis spent the last 12 years at the University of Maine in Orono, where he currently serves as executive director of student auxiliary services.

“I’m attracted to Iowa State. I know something about the campus and it’s a wonderful campus, as well as a good community, so I didn’t have to think about it for very long,” Lewis said.

Lewis will manage food services at the Union, which includes catering and retail food such as the food sold in the Hub.

“The whole department has done some wonderful master planning,” Lewis said. “My job will be to get the dining services in that plan.”

Kathy Svec, marketing coordinator of the Memorial Union, attended a meeting where Lewis spoke about plans for the merger.

“I really liked the combination of an approachable personality and some very in-depth experience,” Svec said. “It seems as if he will be well-prepared to come here.”

Some decisions about the merger of the dining services haven’t been decided on yet, but Lewis seemed optimistic about it, Svec said.

“There was no doubt in [Lewis’] mind that this merger is of the greatest importance,” Svec said.

After traveling to Ames for a three-day interview March 24-27, Lewis was offered the position on April 3 and accepted two days later. Lewis’ two sons and his wife will move with him in July when he officially starts the position. Dining services on campus will undergo a number of changes next year, including a merger and a new director.

After traveling to Ames for a three-day interview March 24-27, Lewis was offered the position on April 3 and accepted two days later. Lewis’ two sons and his wife will move with him in July when he officially starts the position.