College’s visibility on candidate’s to-do list

Michaela Saunders

Iowa State’s College of Business needs to be more visible in the Midwest, said the second candidate for the vacant dean position.

On Monday, Ronald Hill, professor of social responsibility at the Pamplin School of Business Administration at the University of Portland, Ore., spoke to a group of approximately 50 faculty and staff.

Hill outlined his goals for Iowa State in an electronic slide presentation.

He said he did not initially apply for the deanship. After some persistent efforts from the search committee, however, he looked over the materials.

“But then I thought, `What a terrific place. What a great time for me to be in this place. What an exciting challenge,'” Hill said.

“I miss the action. I knew this was a place I could be passionate about,” he said.

The importance of accountability, assessment, diversity, faculty development and competition were focal points of discussion for Hill.

Hill said he recognizes the importance of forming relationships with current and potential donors, the Iowa Legislature, and the media to increase the college’s visibility.

“You truly are a diamond in the Midwest,” Hill said of Iowa State. “This is a great place with a great future.”

Hill spoke of a need to increase Iowa State’s visibility.

“I think you are way better than people know, and it’s time” for that to be known, he said.

Hill shared a five-year plan that included the receipt of an endowment for the college, as well as named professorships.

Max Wortman, distinguished professor of management and president-elect of the Faculty Senate, reiterated the need to increase the visibility of the College of Business.

“We are better-known nationally, but here in Iowa we are not known,” Wortman said. “We are not known on campus.”

Rick Dark, associate professor of finance, said Hill “compares favorably” to the first candidate, James Koch, professor from Santa Clara University in California.

Dark said Hill’s presentation was both impressive and motivating.

“Both candidates were very impressive,” he said. “Both candidates were very dynamic.”

Hill will discuss diversity in a forum at 3:30 p.m. Tuesday in 3150 Beardshear Hall.

The final candidate for the College of Business deanship, Kenneth R. Evans, will be on campus April 11 and 12. Evans is currently associate dean of graduate studies and research at the University of Missouri-Columbia.