Pearson takes MVP for men’s basketball at awards banquet

Paul Kix

Senior Tyray Pearson, who led the Cyclones this year in scoring (18.7 points per game) and rebounding (7.8 rebounds per game), won the Most Valuable Player Award at the men’s basketball awards banquet Saturday.

Pearson, a second-team all-Big 12 selection, was the lone Cyclone to win Big 12 Player of the Week and his points and rebounds per game ranked him fourth and eighth respectively in the conference.

Pearson, ISU’s only senior, won the outstanding senior award in addition to the Outstanding Rebounder Award.

Sophomore Jake Sullivan, who shot 90 percent from the foul line, ranking him fourth in the nation, won the Free Throw Award.

Sullivan made 47.2 percent of his three-point attempts as well, fifth in the nation, and was awarded the banquet’s 3-Point Award.

Fellow sophomore Shane Power won the Outstanding Defensive Player Award.

He led the Cyclones in steals – with 37 – and blocked 12 shots for the year.

Junior Omar Bynum won the Most Improved Player Award. Last year, he averaged a little over two points and one rebound a game. This season, Bynum went for 7.2 ppg and 6.7 rpg.

Over his last seven games, he made 70.5 percent of his shots from the field, averaging 7.2 ppg.

ISU freshman Jared Homan was awarded Mr. Hustle. His 40 blocked shots broke the former record for freshman.

Freshman Ricky Morgan won the Most Assists Award. Morgan’s 91 assist were indeed the most on the team.

Homan and Morgan started 20 games between them.

The ISU Academic Award was given to walk walk-ons – Brad Davis, Justin Fries, Brian Gahan and Brandon Nicol – and scholarship athletes alike – Jared Homan, Andrew Skoglund and Jake Sullivan.

Sullivan is also an Academic All-American.

Iowa State finished the season with 12-19 record and finished 4-12 in the Big 12 Conference.

The Cyclones missed the NCAA Tournament for the first time in two seasons when their season ended with a 79-59 loss to Missouri in the Big 12 Conference Tournament.