Proposal changing majority rule fails

Jyni Ekins

A proposal to allow presidential slates to win by a plurality rather than a simple majority was not approved by the Inter-Residence Hall Association.

The proposal was written by Keith Twombley, IRHA president-elect. Twombley was announced the winner of the initial election this year, but was then told a run-off election would have to be held because he only won by plurality, not the 50-percent-plus-one vote a simple majority requires.

Twombley and running mate Jessi Raim had a 10-vote victory, but only 48.9 percent of the votes. They did, however, win the run-off election last week. The bill received more approval votes than negative ones, but still did not obtain the required two-thirds majority.

IRHA also voted to alter the duties of its election commissioner during its meeting Thursday. Namely, the changes will decrease the number of debates for presidential elections from four to one. Members also approved funding for Macromedia Dreamweaver and a CD-R drive for the IRHA office.

In other business:

Members debated a bill that calls for the elimination of the director of academic affairs position on IRHA. Raim, vice president-elect, said she heard concerns about the position.

Raim said Friley Hall residents asked her to bring the issue to IRHA. Raim asked Abby Bliss, current director of academic affairs, if she felt she had done her job adequately this year. Bliss responded that there was little for her to do, and it was difficult to get students involved.

“I’m trying to determine whether the position is expendable or whether Abby actually did her job,” Raim said.

Members also debated a proposal to eliminate the requirement that students must have attended a conference to run for director of conferences.

“I wrote the bill simply because the number of people who have done conferences and can run for director of conferences is very small,” said Jennie Kingery, RCA president and author of the bill.

Kingery said many students are involved with their residence halls and don’t always have time to attend conferences. She said not many students have applied for the position this year, which will negatively affect IRHA.

Members discussed a request for $8,000 funding for ISU students to put together a bid for the 2004 National Association of College and Residence Halls. The request will be voted on Thursday.