Coe’s Flowers and Gifts to get new graduate as owner

Stefanie Peterson

It was long before he became the owner of a local floral shop that Daniel Brabec, senior in horticulture, began working with flowers.

During the busy holiday weeks two years ago, Brabec began helping at Coe’s Campus Flowers and Gifts, 303 Welch Ave. Several months later, he took over shifts for a former employee.

Now, Brabec finds himself approaching graduation and juggling classwork with owning and managing his own flower shop. On Wednesday, he will officially celebrate becoming the new owner of Coe’s Flowers and Gifts with a ribbon-cutting ceremony.

“My biggest accomplishment is doing all this while being a student,” he said.

On the brink of owning his own shop, Brabec spoke about what first sparked his interest working with flowers.

“In eighth grade I worked at a flower shop in my hometown. In high school, I got into doing silk arrangements,” he said. “I stored the materials in my closet at home, making arrangements for family and friends for special events.”

Coe’s is not new to Ames. It initial opening was on Main Street in 1932. Since, it’s moved to the Shoppes on Grand, and in 1984 found its current home in Campustown.

Even with 70 years under its belt, Brabec said the store will soon have a younger, trendier look with an updated graphic on his shop doors, delivery vans and business cards.

He’ll also improve flower quality and increase customer service.

“The quality of flowers has definitely improved since Dan’s taken over,” said Beth Aigner, former flower shop employee. “You get a better bang for your buck.”

Aigner, who worked with Brabec for three years, said he is very creative and determined to make the shop a success.

Diane Riedmann, who also works at the flower shop, said she’s excited about the changes he’s made to Coe’s. Riedmann’s stepfather David Coe was the original owner of the store.

There have been drastic changes to the store after only three weeks under Brabec’s guidance.

“In the last few weeks we’ve gotten all-new lighting, paint and display cases for the flowers,” he said. “I’ve acquired seven new gift lines, such as Ty Plush, and hired four new employees, though I’m still looking to fill several positions for summer work.”

Coe’s has increased their range of services as well.

“We not only provide flowers, balloons and gifts, but we also handle Do-Biz’s deliveries as well as our own flower deliveries,” Brabec said.

“We’ve really been getting into special-events planning,” said Brabec, mentioning the more than 20 weddings the store’s been booked for during the summer.

The small details set Coe’s apart from Ames’ floral shops, Brabec said.

“We carry unique products that you can’t find just anywhere, such as exotic Hawaiian tropical flowers and candle lines from Nebraska that aren’t sold anywhere else in Ames,” he said.

Brabec personally stands by every purchase, putting his name and phone number on every order form.

“It is our job as a locally-owned florist to make sure our customers are 100 percent satisfied,” he said.

“We serve members of the entire Ames community, but we are also a specialty florist for Iowa State students.”