Online courses benefit some

Kelly Kunkel

Students can take a class in the comfort of their homes through the Internet with online courses. Though not for everyone, some may find benefits in the Web-based programs.

Amber Mesner, sophomore in early childhood education, said she has taken two online classes.

She said she enrolled in Zoology 155, then dropped the course after a month because the lectures weren’t posted at the appointed times. She added that the organization of the class wasn’t based on the students’ time like it should have been, but was based more on the professor’s time, which she said defeated the purpose of an online class.

On the other hand, Mesner also took Math 140 online, instead of the original evening class time she registered for.

“The book for the class was really useful and everything was up on time,” Mesner said. “I think it just depends on the professor.”

Online courses are not only beneficial for college students, but high school students as well.

Penny Fang, freshman at Ames High School, is currently enrolled in Zoology 155. “Its flexibility allows me to do everything according to my schedule,” Fang said.

She said the professor’s selection of study options makes it easier to learn on her own, and she could just start a study group or post questions on the Web to answer her questions.

On the other hand, those with full-time employment may find Web-based courses effective as well.

It wouldn’t be realistic for them to take time off from their job to get a master’s degree, so online classes solve their problem, said Dennis Todey, assistant scientist of agronomy.

Todey said adjustments need to be made to teach in an online environment.

“I have to anticipate the problems that students will have, whereas in face-to-face classes, I can read students and see if they’re confused and then elaborate,” Todey said.

According to an article in AScribe Newswire, two economics professors at Michigan State conducted a study finding that students in online courses do worse on exams than students in a classroom. The professors said online courses teach simple concepts better than they do more complex ideas and that this should be weighed in when deciding whether to take a Web-based course, the article said. The study is to be in the spring edition of the American Economic Review journal.

“If they are motivated, it’s a good option for them. If they’re not, a regular classroom setting is ideal,” Todey said. “They have to decide what is best for them.”