Underage drinkers attend alcohol education class

Katie List

Underage drinking on campus has its consequences – just ask Kyle Krause and Greg Zink.

Krause, freshman in psychology, and Zink, freshman in aerospace engineering, decided last October to uphold the tradition of tailgating during Homecoming weekend.

Department of Public Safety officers arrived before the game and found Krause and Zink standing in the Jack Trice stadium parking lot holding beers.

In addition to paying a $145 fine, Krause, 19, and Zink, 18, had to attend an alcohol education class after pleading guilty to underage drinking.

Sara Kellogg, program director of substance abuse and violence prevention, said her department administers two types of classes for those caught drinking on or around campus.

The drug education seminar, offered by Student Counseling Services, is primarily for students who have already had legal or judicial problems due to drinking or drug use.

The other, an alcohol education class, is for first-time offenders.

“The goal of the [alcohol education] class is to offer some information that students haven’t heard about the effects of alcohol,” Kellogg said.

Kellogg said a typical alcohol education class involves brief introductions, a review of policies and laws, addressing myths and misconceptions of alcohol and describing the effects of alcohol on the body.

“Obviously we’re not encouraging minors to drink,” she said. “It’s against the law. But we tell the students that if you choose to drink you should know the consequences.”

Krause said he would rather see the drinking age changed than have students attend a class.

“They should change the drinking age to at least 19,” Krause said. “If you really have a problem, you should go to Alcoholics Anonymous.”

Steve Berard, hall director for Barton, Lyon, Freeman and Fisher-Nickell, said most students find the class worthwhile.

Berard and other hall directors can refer students to the alcohol education class.

Krause and Zink, however, were both referred by DPS.

Zink said the class itself has had little impact on him.

“The consequence of the fine and having it on my record affected me more than the class did,” Zink said. “Because it cost me $145, I’m not going to do it again.”

“My problem is that I was stupid and holding a beer can in the parking lot of Jack Trice Stadium.”