Provost to leave for exec position

Rebecca Cooper

Provost Rollin Richmond will leave behind the Midwest, cold weather and budget problems as he travels to the West Coast to become the sixth president of Humboldt State University.

Richmond, who has served as provost and professor of zoology and genetics at Iowa State since 1999, was chosen as the new president of Humboldt State in Arcata, Calif., March 14 by the California State University Board of Trustees.

“I truly regret having to leave ISU after a relatively short time here,” Richmond said. “I will leave with a heavy heart and with fervent hopes for the future of this fine institution. I have learned much about the utility and values of the land grant universities that will be valuable to me in the future.”

Richmond said he is sad to leave behind the warm and hardworking people at Iowa State, but is optimistic about the possibilities at Humboldt State and in Northern California.

“I look forward to the opportunity to build on the strong foundation of undergraduate education in the arts and environmental sciences that is the hallmark of Humboldt State,” Richmond said. “It will be nice to be able to look at the ocean and the mountains every day, too.”

Richmond was one of four finalists for the presidency but stood out because of his outstanding leadership skills, his commitment to environmental issues and his communication abilities, said Debra Farar, chairwoman of the presidential search committee.

“We had a number of great candidates but he just seemed to be the best fit for Humboldt,” said Farar, vice chairwoman of the CSU Board of Trustees. “He really connected with students, faculty and staff. We’re really looking forward to having Richmond lead Humboldt State into the next century.”

Richmond will leave Iowa State in mid-June and will assume the presidency at Humboldt State on July 1. Iowa State will name an interim provost later this semester and will begin searching for a new provost in April.

“It’s a loss to Iowa State because he has done a great job here,” President Gregory Geoffroy said. “We always have mixed feelings when we lose a member of the university. We’re happy Rollin was offered this great job opportunity but we’re sad to see him go. It’s really a tribute to his ability, skills and dedication as a true leader.”