New kid on the block

Kyle Moss

It wasn’t long ago that ISU fans were used to cheering on a guy named Marcus.

That man, Marcus Fizer, is now with the Chicago Bulls of the NBA, but there is a new Marcus on the hardwood: Marcus Jefferson. Even though he is yet to be the superstar Fizer once was, his role with the Cyclones is becoming more and more important.

As part of the shining sophomore class that Iowa State dons, which includes Jake Sullivan and Shane Power, Jefferson’s future as a Cyclone looks very bright.

“We’re going to be together here two more years after this, including Ricky [Morgan] too,” Sullivan said. “Us four are going to be together for a while. That’s hopefully real promising; hopefully we can win a lot of games.”

Jefferson sat out last season as a redshirt under NCAA transfer rules, making this year the first time he’s played with Sullivan and Power on a consistent basis.

“This year has been a learning process,” Jefferson said. “Me, Jake and Shane got two more years here together, so hopefully this season will really motivate us to do better for our fans and for the team.”

Jefferson came to Iowa State from Providence, where he suffered through an injury his freshman season.

He averaged 3.5 points in 12.5 minutes over 17 games; he started just three games.

The Indiana native has already put up solid numbers at Iowa State, averaging nearly nine points a game and almost five rebounds as a starter. His teammates are constantly expecting more out of him, but he has struggled at times this season.

“He’s obviously the most athletic guy, his vertical is pushing 36 to 38 inches,” Sullivan said. “We always try to get him to go in and dunk more and do this more. But overall, he’s a very good player.”

One of Jefferson’s main reasons for coming to the Midwest was to be closer to his home and family in Indiana. But with a child and everyday family issues, it can sometimes be hard to stay focused on basketball.

“I think all of that comes into perspective, stuff outside of basketball,” Jefferson said. “Basketball is what I love to do, but I feel everyone has their ups and downs throughout a season whether you’re winning or losing. If you ask me, I think family always comes into play regardless of basketball. It’s just something you have to deal with as a student-athlete.”

Jefferson admits to not talking to very many people and staying to himself at Iowa State, but he said he is making the best of his situation.

“I know he likes it here,” Sullivan said. “Obviously he has things back home that are very important to him, his girl and his kid and things like that. But I think he enjoys being here and playing with us too.”

But one thing Jefferson doesn’t like is losing.

“It’s rough, man, it’s rough for all of us,” Jefferson said. “We just come in practice and work on getting better. We’ve lost a lot of tough games. I’m pretty sure nobody expected our season, but like [ISU head coach Larry Eustachy] says we’re getting better as team.”

Jefferson is well aware of his role on the team, and he knows how close the Cyclones are to being on the winning side of things.

“I just try to stay within the offense, play as a team,” Jefferson said. “Get the better shooters open shots, just try to win, that’s all I do.”

He hasn’t shown the emotion on the court that such players as Power and freshman Jared Homan do, but Jefferson said he is motivated on the inside.

“I think it’s not really a big thing about getting pumped up,” he said. “It’s within yourself if you want to win. If you see a loose ball and you want it, you go after it. I just go out there and play.”

The Cyclones open up a two-game home stretch tonight against Colorado. The Buffaloes handed Iowa State a 63-61 loss Jan. 16 off a turn-around jumper from junior Stephane Pelle with three seconds left.

“I really want to beat Colorado. Playing up there was the worst atmosphere to play basketball in, if you ask me,” Jefferson said. “After the game, how the other team shook our hands like `we stumped y’all’- that really put a bitter taste in my mouth.”

Iowa State’s eight-game losing streak is the longest since the 1980-81 season and they have fallen to 1-9 in the Big 12. They have played six games that have come down to a last-second shot but have failed to win all six times.

“I think we’re real positive, all year we’ve been close every game,” Sullivan said. “You stay close, and we know we can beat these teams, so we’re obviously upbeat.”