Changing value of `A’ unseen on campus

Michaela Saunders

It may be easier to earn an `A’ than it was 10 or 20 years ago, but ISU officials say grade inflation is not high on their list of concerns.

Between 1991 and 2000, the average ISU grade point average increased by .13, from 2.67 to 2.80, according to the 2001-2002 ISU Fact Book. Two possible catalysts for the increase – better programs and lower standards – could be to blame, said Howard Shapiro, vice provost for undergraduate programs.

“The issue is, if grades are increasing and nothing else is changing, then what does that grade mean?” he said.

Some students at Harvard University are worried about the gradual increase in grades over time, but Shapiro said ISU students haven’t expressed the same concern.

“I would think students would be very concerned,” he said. “The value of your degree depends on the value of the institution. Grade inflation would then devalue that degree. But, you don’t hear that from students.”

Registrar Kathy Jones said enhanced academic programs and higher standards have motivated students to earn better grades.

“The university has spent a lot of time, effort and money on learning communities and other retention efforts,” she said.

“You would expect that to pay off.”

Requiring a minimum grade of `C’ to pass certain courses may lead to better grades, Jones said.

Also, she said, Iowa State might be attracting better students.

“Iowa State has done a lot in terms of the admissions side,” Jones said. “High school course requirements mean students are coming to us better prepared. It is possible that has an impact.”

Plus and minus grades have been awarded at Iowa State since 1981, she said, and the most noticeable changes in grading occurred shortly thereafter.

Test scores for admissions requirements have remained fairly constant at Iowa State, so the current student body is relatively similar to those in years past, Shapiro said.

The issue of grade inflation hasn’t hit Iowa State as hard as other universities, he said.

“[Grade inflation] certainly comes up from time to time, but I don’t think it is a concern here,” Shapiro said. “We have never really looked into it in great depth.”