Colleges enter budget cut numbers

Michaela Saunders

Proposals have been submitted university-wide to cut $16.5 million – nearly 4 percent – from Iowa State’s budget.

These cuts, if approved, will help the university recover from the fall 2001 state de-appropriation and anticipated future cuts from the Iowa Legislature.

Provost Rollin Richmond confirmed that the Task Force on Strategic Effectiveness and Budget Priorities will make recommendations to President Gregory Geoffroy in March. Geoffroy will make an announcement after the close of the legislative session.

The cuts will demand changes from departments across campus.

The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences will be reorganized, said Dean Peter Rabideau.

Faculty have been working for nearly a year on the reorganization of departments in the biological sciences, including biochemistry, microbiology, botany, and zoology and genetics, he said.

“That reorganization could mean one or more department is eliminated, but it doesn’t mean the faculty or course offerings would be,” Rabideau said. “Hopefully the reorganization will result in new departments.”

Rabideau said this reorganization was considered before the budget concerns arose.

“This is very, very important for Iowa State University apart from the budget-reduction process,” Rabideau said.

The elimination of programs with low enrollment, which Rabideau could not disclose at this time, is also being considered.

The College of Education is considering the elimination of four academic programs, said Dean Walter Gmelch.

“No one will lose the opportunity to complete their degrees,” Gmelch said. “There will not be a severe impact on students.”

Two undergraduate minors – athletic training and community health education – will be eliminated. The bachelor of science degree in community health education will be eliminated, as will the graduate program in organizational learning and human resource development.

James Melsa, dean of the College of Engineering said the college is considering the elimination of two undergraduate programs and the reduction of another.

Melsa said the engineering science and engineering applications programs will be phased out and the graduate program in engineering mechanics will be restructured.

“Students are paying more and more and . are, in a loose sense, getting less,” Melsa said. “That’s not a good answer, but that’s what the state is telling us.”

Iowa State’s academic colleges are not the only parts of the university that are preparing for the 4 percent reduction.

Geoffroy announced earlier that the office of the vice president for External Affairs will be collapsed and the duties of the office redistributed.

Vice President for Student Affairs Thomas Hill is consolidating two positions in his office – Minority Student Affairs director and associate Dean of Students – and funding for the “Iowa Stater” has also been eliminated.

Richmond said nothing will be certain until April and more cuts from the state for this year are anticipated.

“Quite clearly it is going to be very difficult to maintain the quality that this university has now,” Richmond said. “We have lost a number of faculty lines and class sizes are increasing.”

The Office of Business and Finance has been asked to reduce its budget by $2.1 million, said Vice President for Business and Finance Warren Madden.

He said the plan for cuts was carefully planned, though they are still significant.

“There will be less people servicing the campus and that will reduce things,” Madden said.

Richmond confirmed that no filled faculty positions will be eliminated as a result of these proposals.

However, 89.5 full-time equivalent positions will be eliminated and another 63.3 full-time equivalent positions will not be filled. One equivalent position is 40 hours per week worked by any number of people.