IRHA aims to fill Hilton for women’s basketball

Katie Jensen

The Inter-Residence Hall Association and the Department of Residence are on a mission.

It wants to sell out the women’s basketball game Saturday when the Cyclones host the Kansas Jayhawks at Hilton Coliseum.

IRHA is offering discounted tickets to students and asking the community to help fill Hilton to capacity, approximately 15,000.

The promotion was an idea from the Department of Residence in conjunction with this year’s theme, “Challenging Students to Become Their Best,” said Heather Minish, special events coordinator for IRHA.

The Department of Residence asked IRHA to promote the challenge, said Minish, junior in industrial engineering. IRHA sold about half of the tickets they received from the Department of Residence.

“We wanted to do something we thought students would get excited about,” said John Shertzer, IRHA adviser and residence life coordinator.

The promotion allows the Department of Residence to partner with IRHA for Residence Hall Week, said Kate Bruns, communications specialist for the Department of Residence.

“IRHA deserves all the credit for carrying it out,” she said.

As part of the promotion, IRHA is offering incentives for residence hall students who attend the game.

“The floor with the highest percentage turnout get a pizza party,” Minish said. Along with other possible perks, the residents of the winning floor will be put in a drawing to win more prizes.

With the success of the women’s basketball team this season, Shertzer said he felt this game had the “greatest potential to sell out.”

“There’s still the feeling that the women are going to do something really special this season,” he said.

Although men’s basketball games have sold out in the past, the women have yet to reach that level.

“It’s never been sold out – it’s an interesting challenge,” Shertzer said.

Bruns said tickets are selling well on campus.

“We’re still getting back-order forms, but from our end we think it’s going really well,” she said.

Regular-priced tickets are $10 and can be purchased at the ISU Athletic Ticket Office in the Jacobson Building. Residence hall students who wish to attend the game can contact the IRHA office to buy discounted tickets for $8.