Week brings activities to students in dorms

Nicholos Wethington

The Inter-Residence Hall Association is hosting a variety of activities, including a date auction and a game show, as part of Residence Hall Week.

Events during the week are open to all students, not just residents of residence halls.

Tuesday, each residence hall association is holding its own event, said Heather Minish, special events coordinator for IRHA and junior in industrial engineering. RCA will be showing “Animal House” in the Maple-Willow-Larch commons and Towers will be hosting an exotic cat show in the Knapp-Storms commons.

“[Students] are going to be bringing in cats and showing them off,” Minish said.

There will also be a concert in the Friley Terrace Room. Max Power, a modern rock band; Sober Haze, an indie rock group; and Mechanistry, a metal band, will be playing, said Corwin Colebrooke, organizer of the event and sophomore in pre-journalism and mass communication.

A disc jockey with more than 20,000 songs will host karaoke night Wednesday. There is no registration for the event, so students can just show up and sing, Minish said.

More than 30 students have already signed up for Thursday’s date auction, offering themselves to be sold as potential dates. Couples will receive gift certificates to Hickory Park and Movies 12.

“The applications for the auction are closed, but if there is enough time we will be auctioning people off from the audience if they want to volunteer,” she said.

Proceeds from the date auction will benefit the American Diabetes Association.

Friday, students can play in a game show similar to “The Price is Right.” Other games also will be available.

“We are going to have Plinko, Three Strikes, Bullseye, Lucky 7, Secret X and Hole in One from the game show,” Minish said.

Winners of each round will receive gift certificates and the winner of the Showcase Showdown will receive a television and a DVD player.

As part of Residence Hall Week, IRHA is combining forces with the Department of Residence to challenge students to help sell out the women’s basketball game against the Kansas Jayhawks Saturday.

“We’re still working on [selling tickets] but the day of the game an average of 1,000 tickets are usually sold,” she said.

Showcasing the residence halls and bringing in students from off campus and the greek system are the primary objectives of this year’s Residence Hall week.

To garner a larger group of students from off-campus and the greek system, more of the events will be in the Memorial Union rather than the residence halls, as has been the standard in years past, said Paul Duncan, president of IRHA.

“We wanted to get students from all over, not just certain areas,” said Duncan, senior in transportation logistics.