Festival features Indian cuisine

Omar Tesdell

Burgers and sandwiches were not the only option for lunch Friday in the Memorial Union food court. The ISU community had the opportunity to experience authentic Indian cuisine at the Indian Food Festival, sponsored by the campus chapter of the Society for Indian Tradition and ARts (SiTaR).

More than 250 people filled the Great Hall to eat both north and south Indian cuisine during the food fair, a SiTaR tradition at Iowa State since 1995. Dishes ranged from “gobi da sabji” (cauliflower in spicy tomato sauce) to “radish sambar” (lentils and radishes in south Indian soup). There was also a baked mashed potato dish and a dessert made with rice milk and pudding, among other choices.

Ganesh Sriram, president of SiTaR, said north Indian food tends to have more aromatic spices while south Indian has sharper spices and a more coastal influence with coconut and seafood. Organizers tried to reflect this diversity in the festival.

“We try to give a good picture of Indian cuisine,” said Sriram, graduate student in chemical engineering.

SiTaR holds several events throughout the year. Sriram said the organization is dedicated to giving Indians in Ames “a slice of India” as well as giving “something in return to the [ISU] community.”

Handmade crafts were sold by Sankalp, an organization that promotes social development in India. The proceeds from the sale went to promote literacy among the poor in India.

The walls were lined with photographs and posters giving facts on India. There were also informational books about India, as well as a description and recipe for each dish.

Rohini Ramaswamy, a volunteer at the festival, said she feels the community of Ames is more aware of other cultures because it is a college town. However, she said the food festival is important because it gives the town more opportunity to experience diversity.

“I think it’s important to provide the opportunity for people to experience this culture,” Ramaswamy said.

Organizers said the event is especially important this year because it helps to promote understanding in the campus community.

“I think that any time you have people more aware of other cultures, there is less conflict,” Ramaswamy said. “People are more curious about south Asia now.”

Diners, regardless of familiarity with the cuisine, seemed to be impressed.

“I haven’t had my mom’s cooking for four years, but it’s comparable,” said Vishal Sanghvi, senior in computer science.

Brian Danowsky, senior in aerospace engineering, had not tried Indian food before the festival.

“I was impressed with my food,” Danowsky said. “I just heard about it from one of my friends and it sounded interesting.”

Alicia Kaiser, student in liberal arts and sciences from Chicago, said she eats Indian food often and enjoyed the meal provided by SiTaR.

“It’s really some of the best Indian food I’ve had,” Kaiser said. “We like the food because Iowa State has a limited amount of diversity compared to Chicago. I think it’s a really good opportunity to enrich the campus.”