COLUMN:You can’t always take life too seriously

Blaine Moyle

Reflecting over the past semester, many things stick out in my mind. My everyday dealings with different people and organizations made me realize something. There are far too many people in the world and particularly on campus that take themselves and those around them a bit too seriously.

I even noticed that as I try to be rather laid back, too often I stress over things that really don’t matter. Some may think New Year’s resolutions are silly, but I decided this year that I need to not be as serious, especially after thinking out my own column.

It’s important to keep in mind that not every member in a group thinks exactly alike. There are, however, observations that can be made about the more vocal portion of a group that stands out and represents the rest.

So, I present for your reading pleasure, Moyle’s top five groups and people on campus that take things a little too seriously.

At number five is the greek System. The greeks are very deserving of this award because of the mass hysteria that is going on over “yet another greek bashing column.”

It seems that any time the greeks are given any sort of coverage on campus it is always negative.

It’s not just this though. They refuse to take responsibility for anything that may besmirch the good name of the greek system by disavowing any knowledge of students that are caught. Yet anytime they come together to do something positive, they demand public acclaim for their good deeds.

A step up at number four are the political organizations on campus. There are those who will say politics are important to knowing and understanding how the world works, and to a point I agree.

But most of the political groups rarely discuss any real issues. Rather the discussions are no more than the same rehashed issues and propaganda that is put on public display every four years in order to sway public opinion.

I would like to be an idealist too, but instead I have to be a realist. I know no politician, no matter how good he may seem, no matter how convincing his speeches, or his platform, will rarely do what they tell me.

It seems that every political organization on campus is interested in making sure the evil empire of the others doesn’t come into power.

Number three is a very vocal minority. For the most part, this collection of people both on and off campus couldn’t give a flying fig.

But at number three are those that get bent out of shape over reading the Daily.

These more vocal readers decry the Daily for simple things like misspellings of homophones as though it means the end of life as we know it.

These sort of things are often used as “proof” of a lack of quality, as though large newspapers never make mistakes.

Rarely do these people realize that we too are students and don’t have a whole day with total staff coverage to proofread every “to, too and two.”

Others get upset at the Daily for columns in the opinion section.

There is a fine line between disagreeing with a persons argument, and trying to make some sort of cry to the public to never read a certain columnist because they are “evil” or “bad.”

These people seem to believe that columnists are journalists who should provide an unbiased source of information. It is as though the single opinion of one writer or even multiple will suddenly change the political and moral belief system of everyone who reads it.

At number two is the big red target, GSB.

Not everyone in GSB takes themselves too seriously. People are a part of GSB for a multitude of reasons. Some I enjoy conversing with when I have the opportunity. Then there are those that care too much.

On occasion the Daily has been attacked for being “unprofessional” because we don’t understand the ins and outs of GSB. At the same time these people ignore that we are no more professional newspaper people than they are professional politicians.

It’s understandable to want to make Iowa State a better place, but sometimes this is led by self-righteousness that knows what is always best for students.

But at the illustrious position of number one is the Iowa State Daily.

We at the Daily stand above the other organizations. Often comments made in columns or by the editorial board can seem over-reactionary or very one-sided without taking into account all positions of an argument.

Often GSB is a target because of their actions as a whole, but also those of select members of GSB. We try and hold them to a higher standard of professionalism than any other groups because of the issues they deal with.

Yet at the same time, we ignore that they, just like us, are only students who can’t be expected to act in the same manner as those who have similar positions in the real world.

Blaine Moyle is a junior in English from Des Moines.