Faculty Senate approves proposal

Megan Erickson

The Faculty Senate voted unanimously Tuesday on an proposal to add a faculty voice to the Board of Regents.

The ISU Faculty Senate Executive Board will lobby for the addition of regent university faculty as regent members.

The original motion called for a single member of faculty as a nonvoting member to the Board of Regents.

But Hamilton Cravens, professor of history, questioned why faculty members would not be allowed to vote if the student representative is allowed that privilege.

John Robyt, professor of biochemistry, biophysics and molecular biology, suggested the addition of three faculty members, one from each of the three state institutions.

“I have felt for a long time that the board has been very isolated from the faculty,” he said.

He strongly urged an amendment allowing the University of Iowa, the University of Northern Iowa and Iowa State to send a faculty member. These schools, he said, “have the most at stake because they receive the most money.”

The more flexible amended proposal that was adopted by the senate did not specify whether the faculty Board of Regent members would be able to vote.

The senate also chose Jack Girton from a pool of three candidates as president-elect for the Faculty Senate. Presiding President Christie Pope said she was happy with the three candidates because “it really shows the vitality of the Faculty Senate.”

The three candidates, Girton, Dorothy Fowles and Greg Palermo, each had about five minutes to address the senate discussing their own objectives and goals for the group.

“I know what it takes to do research at a research institution,” said Girton, associate professor of zoology and genetics.

He said his goals would be of a “practical manner,” including revision of the handbook, supporting an ombuds-person and work on the promotion and tenure policy.