Students budget for the holidays

Amy Eaton

As the holiday season creeps closer and shopping lists grow, college students are juggling price tags and holiday sales with monthly bills to avoid debt.

Several options can come to mind to stay out of a financial crunch – borrow money, get a temporary job for holiday break or charge the shopping sprees on credit cards.

Clark Grinde, accredited financial counselor and financial planner at the ISU Financial Counseling Clinic, said the best way to budget for holiday shopping is to simply plan ahead.

“Talk to friends and family about what a reasonable amount is to spend and then decide what you do want to spend,” he said. “Those who don’t decide ahead of time tend to spend more than they should.”

Grinde, temporary instructor of human development and family studies, recommended using debit cards and cash when possible to avoid interest charges. If credit cards must be used, he said, plan ahead.

“Plan to have money ready to pay off credit card bills in one or two payments to avoid interest charges,” Grinde said.

“It is a little late for this, but you should start putting money away in August or September. But if you already have a balance on your credit cards, you may want to consider not using them.”

Students should set an upper limit on spending and adhere to that limit, said Barry Falk, associate professor of economics.

“Certainly at this time of year, you need to look at your current financial situation and do the best you can with it,” he said.

Falk and Grinde both suggest looking for extra work over the holidays.

“This is a really busy time of the year for retail and typically a time when they are looking hard for extra help,” Falk said. “Although this year there is some question with the economy’s current recession, and there may not be as many extra hours available as usual.”

Debbie Kleitsch, junior in communication studies, said she plans to find a temporary job over the holiday break to offset the additional costs of holiday shopping.

“It’s not going to be easy to find a job that I am actually going to enjoy,” Kleitsch said. “I would like to find a position that utilizes my skills and would be a benefit for my future career path. If I am not able to find a job, then I will just have to budget accordingly.”

Amy Thelke, junior in English, said she decided to make some gifts for her family and friends.

“I love to bake, so I am planning on putting together gift packages with homemade cookies and other things I have made,” Thelke said.

“This seems like more of a personal gift and it saves me money.”

The financial counseling clinic offers various tools to help students in budgeting costs. Students sometimes think budgeting takes too much time and effort, but Grinde said these items make planning a budget quick and simple.

For additional information, contact the ISU Financial Counseling Clinic at 294-8644 or visit its Web site at www.fcs.iastate.edu/financial.