Prof speaks about Esther from Bible

Michelle Kann

In the Bible, there were few females known for standing up for what they believed in, but a professor told an ISU crowd the story of one biblical woman who dug in against authority to save the Jewish community.

Susan Zaeske, assistant professor of communication arts at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, gave a lecture about “Encountering Esther: Rhetorical Appropriations of a Biblical Heroine,” at noon Monday in Ross Hall.

Zaeske summarized Esther’s story in the Bible, describing it as rhetorical theory instead of literature to the audience of 50 students and faculty members.

“It’s a fictional mythical world that teaches the Jews to live in this world,” she said, pointing out her Queen Esther pin on her shirt.

“Esther is a woman of courage and dignity,” she said. “And unlike other biblical heroines, she was known for her words and deeds, not for bearing a child.”

Esther was a queen and wife of King Ahasuerus. She also was a Jew who used her beauty and speaking ability to convince the king to spare the Jews when she learned of a planned massacre, according to the Catholic Encyclopedia Web site, www.newadvent.org.

Zaeske said Esther’s story has been used for years to encourage powerless groups to take action through speech.

“There is a parallel between women and Jews – the lack of power in society,” she said. “The lesson is that exiles should not act, but speak.”

In the ninth century, clergymen advised queens to read the book of Esther for advice on how to deal with their kings, Zaeske said.

One author in the Middle Ages said Esther’s story was evidence that God’s plan to save his people would happen through the work of women, she said.

In the 1800s, at a women’s rights convention, one African-American speaker encouraged women to be unafraid to speak the truth, Zaeske said. Women were encouraged to be like Esther and not be afraid of people in positions of authority, she said.

“The lesson of the book is that speech is a rhetorical power,” she said.

Zaeske said Esther’s courage should be a model for all oppressed people, not just women.

“People identify with Esther, and it empowers them,” Zaeske said.

Brandi Dries, sophomore in statistics, said although she was not familiar with the topic, Zaeske explained her main points well.

“I was very impressed with her analysis,” Dries said.