Cyclones sink Hawkeyes in Beyer Pool

Nate Frandsen

Iowa State did manage one victory over Iowa this weekend, and it came courtesy of the women’s swimming and diving team.

The Cyclones used a full team effort to down the Hawkeyes 170.50 to 128.50 at the Beyer Hall Pool. It was their third-straight dual meet victory, running their record to 3-1.

“This was a just a tremendous team effort,” head coach Duane Sorenson said. “We were prepared as a team and we came out ready to go.”

Sorenson said the victory over Iowa was something he’s not used to experiencing.

“In my first few years here, Iowa dominated us,” he said. “Last year, we swam well and lost, but this year, we won the close races which proved to be the difference.”

Sophomore Petra Plaminkova and freshman Brita Benson had big days for Iowa State, combining to win four individual events.

Both were involved in two winning relays.

Plaminkova won the 200-breaststroke, 200 IM, and was runner-up in the 100-breaststroke. She also swam the second leg of the winning 200-medley relay.

“In the first relay we killed them. After that I had a really good feeling,” Plaminkova said. “Every race was ours except a few.”

Plaminkova said good practices throughout the week helped in the outcome.

“All week, I felt good. I prepared well mentally and felt good in the water,” she said. “This is a great end to our fall season.”

Benson led the way in the 50-freestyle and 100-freestyle. In addition, she was the third leg in the winning 400-freestyle relay.

“We knew Petra would swim well, because she is a big meet swimmer, but Brita really was the difference maker from last year,” Sorenson said. “With her being just a freshman, she adds a lot to this team.”

The Cyclones also received first place finishes from sophomore Melissa Jensen in the 100-breaststroke, senior Amber McDowell in the 200-butterfly, and freshman Sonja Groning in the 100-butterfly.

The team plans on getting in a lot of hard work over break and will head to Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. January 3-11 for its winter training trip.

The Cyclones next meet is against Missouri on January 26 at 1 p.m. in the Beyer Hall Pool.

“Practice will be intense after finals; we have to train for the Big 12 Championships,” Sorenson said.