International Week 2001 to bring world of cultures

Katie List

International student leaders are putting the world on display and strengthening the unity among different cultures with International Week 2001, which kicks off today on Central Campus.

The opening ceremonies will be at 11 a.m. today south of the Campanile. Dancers will perform the Malaysian Lion Dance, and the ceremony will culminate with the release of almost 200 balloons into the air.

Each balloon will bear the flag emblem of a different country, said Miranda Mhango, special events chairwoman for the International Student Council.

The theme for this year’s International Week is “Harmony – One World, One Family, One Goal.” The events of the week are intended to create awareness of other cultures and to bring international students together, said Mhango, senior in accounting.

The World on Display, an event featuring cultural artifacts provided by 12 different international student organizations, will take place from 11:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. today in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union.

Students will be able to get a taste from a spectrum of countries at the international food fair from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Sunday in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union.

“Korea, Hong Kong, Japan, Malaysia, India, Sudan, Nigeria, Brazil, Portugal, China, Pakistan, Vietnam, India, Burma and the Philippines will be represented at the food fair,” said Yukari Ikuno, International Food Fair Committee chairwoman and sophomore in pre-business.

One dollar of the fair’s $2 admission fee will go back to the purchaser in the form of food tickets, said Kyaw Kyaw, International Week chairman.

Of the remaining $1, 50 cents will go toward international student aid, and 50 cents will go to the Red Cross for the 9/11 Relief Fund.

“We’re trying to raise funds for international students and expand knowledge of international cultures on the Iowa State campus,” said Kyaw, senior in electrical engineering.

The Chinese film “Not One Less” will be shown for World Movie Night at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the Gallery Room of the Union.

An International Dance Night and Fashion Show will be from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. Nov. 9 in the Great Hall of the Union. Individual students will perform dances, readings and various other performances. Clothing of different cultures will be featured in the fashion show, Mhango said.

The Closing Ceremony will be at 6 p.m. Nov. 10 in the Great Hall of the Union. The ceremony will feature several cultural performances and the awards ceremony for international student financial aid.

An open dance will be after the formal ceremony, featuring international music and refreshments.

“I would like to invite all Iowa State University students to come,” Kyaw said.