Englin says university will charge Robb for false rape allegation

Zach Calef

A female ISU student who said four black males abducted and sexually assaulted her will face university charges for filing a false report with the Department of Public Safety.

Katie Robb, 19, 4912 Mortensen Road #101, told DPS on Aug. 28 that she was kidnapped from one of the busiest areas on campus. She said a group of black males then took her to a wooded area where they raped her.

The next day, Robb, sophomore in journalism and mass communication, told DPS officials she fabricated the allegations. No date for a disciplinary hearing is set for student conduct code violation, said Dean of Students Pete Englin.

Robb faced charges in the Story County courts but changed her initial plea from not guilty to guilty Oct. 25, according to court documents. She was charged Sept. 4 with “knowingly reporting false information concerning a felony to a law enforcement authority.”

Robb said she could not comment on the case or say if she will attend Iowa State in the spring semester.

Her lawyer, John Riccolo of Cedar Rapids, was unavailable for comment.

Filing a false report in Story County carries a sentence of up to one year in jail, a $1,500 fine or both.

The Story County case will proceed Nov. 20 at 9 a.m. in the county courthouse in Nevada, according to court documents.

Englin said he doesn’t know what will happen to Robb if the university legal system finds her guilty.

“We haven’t had experience with this kind of a case before,” he said. “In our university’s judicial process, the worst thing that can happen to a student . is indefinite suspension.”

Englin said the change in plea will have “no effect” on a university hearing.