Seagraves receive Athletic Department alum award

Omar Tesdell

More than 30 years of loyalty and service to Iowa State earned Distinguished Professor Richard Seagrave and his wife Jan a blanket representing the Athletic Department’s annual Cy’s Favorite Alum award.

“It was a wonderful experience,” said Richard Seagrave, who received his award at halftime of the Iowa-Iowa State football game Saturday.

The Cy’s Favorite Alum award, which began in 1955, is given by the Athletic Department to honor an individual or couple “whose accomplishments and loyalty have earned special distinction as Cy’s Favorite Alum,” said Joan Bowles, assistant athletic director for annual giving and customer service. “Richard and Jan Seagrave exemplify this criteria.”

Richard Seagrave, distinguished professor of chemical engineering, graduated from Iowa State in 1959 with an master’s degree and doctoral degree in 1961. After four years at California Institute of Technology, he returned to Iowa State, according to the Athletic Department. “I wanted to get into biotech engineering, and I really enjoyed working in a land-grant university,” he said.

His research is focused on life support systems, biothermodynamics and chemical reaction engineering.

Richard Seagrave served as ISU interim president from August 2000 to June 2001. During his term, the Athletic Department underwent several major events – Bruce Van De Velde was named athletic director, Iowa State was ranked nationally in the top 10 in four varsity sports and the football team went to a bowl game for the first time in 22 years, Seagrave said.

“It was a great year for Iowa State athletics,” he said.

Bowles said Richard Seagrave often volunteered with the cross-country and track programs and maintained a good relationship with the Athletic Department. “His rapport with coaches, players and Athletic Department staff members went far beyond any obligations he may have had as interim president,” Bowles said.

Jan Seagrave graduated from Iowa State in 1959 with a degree from the College of Family and Consumer Sciences. She has worked in a statistical laboratory and helped with the English, French and teacher education programs at Iowa State, according to the Athletic Department.

Bowles said the award recipients are chosen by the athletic director and administrative staff.

It was the Seagraves’ loyalty, she said, that ultimately earned them the award.

“Their commitment to ISU is truly evident with their presence at many functions and events across campus and their genuine concern for the students on campus,” Bowles said.