Date change, weather may affect Iowa game revenue

Jeff Raasch

The ISU Athletic Department could lose up to $30,000 when the Iowa Hawkeyes come to Ames for football later this month – but the high ticket sales should be enough to off-set the deficit.

Tent sales will probably decrease for the Nov. 24 game if the weather turns bad, Athletics Director Bruce Van De Velde said.

“We sell tents to a lot of groups that like to tailgate,” Van De Velde said. “If we have a severe spell, our rentals of our tents could be affected dramatically.”

The competitive Iowa-Iowa State game usually brings in much more than the average home game, he said. On average, Iowa State makes $250,000 in revenue for home games, Van De Velde said, including parking, concessions, ticket sales and sponsors.

This year’s game, which was rescheduled from its original Sept. 15 date, is expected to generate less revenue than the typical, earlier Iowa-Iowa State game, he said.

The Athletic Department offered refunds after the game was postponed because of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, but not many ticketholders accepted the offer, said Tom Kroeschell, communication manager for the Athletic Department.

“I think people really want to go to the game,” he said.

Even though the game against Iowa is sold out, it still remains to be seen whether students will show up.

Van De Velde said he hopes students will support the Cyclones, but Thanksgiving break could affect turnout. The dorms will re-open Saturday for students who want to come back, he said.

“Since it is Thanksgiving weekend, and the students get to go home the Saturday before, we’re hoping that they’ll all come back for the game,” Van De Velde said. “We really, really want our students there.”