Vilsack on campus for student forum

Michaela Saunders

Gov. Tom Vilsack will be on campus to hear students’ concerns in an open forum discussion from 1 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. today in the Gallery Room of the Memorial Union.

He will address questions about the state-wide budget crunch – or anything else of student concern.

“There is nothing off the table,” said Government of the Student Body President Andy Tofilon.

“This is the opportunity for students to talk with the governor, and students need to seize that.”

Joe Shannahan, Vilsack’s spokesperson, said the governor is anticipating a majority of questions posed by students to be related to higher education and the current budget situation.

He said the state of Iowa is facing economic crunches similar to those happening on a national level.

“The sharp downturn in the state’s economy is reflective of the sharp downturn in the national economy,” Shannahan said.

The economic plunge makes cuts to state agencies inevitable, he said. Vilsack announced last month a second round of state cuts.

Tofilon said students need to think critically about this opportunity.

“[The governor] is going to try to charm us,” he said. “We need to make sure he knows we’re not going to buy it. He’s going to say the Republicans cut work study . Well, he has a veto stamp.”

The question-and-answer session should be dominated by student queries, Tofilon said.

“We need to make sure he realizes education and higher education need to be top priority in this state.”

Shannahan said education and higher education are still state priorities.

“We are required to cut the budget,” he said. “We want to not only balance the budget in terms of numbers, but also in terms of values. We think education is one of the most important issues for Iowa.”