COLUMN:Job market getting increasingly tighter

Wesley Griffin

Last Tuesday, the day before Halloween, I was in costume. I went as a student trying to get a job at the Agriculture Career Day. I say costume because I was clean-shaven and in a three-piece suit. Needless to say I looked damn good. I thought I was ready – I had my portfolio, my tie straight and a killer smile. I did find a few companies that were interested in me but I wanted more.

When I graduate I want to find what I consider the perfect job, where I can write for an agriculture publication but still have the time and freedom to raise cattle. Now I’m not saying Career Day needs to be filled with lots of publications, and maybe I should have went to the Liberal Arts and Sciences Career Fair, but it seems there are not enough jobs to go around.

Many students in the College of Agriculture do go back to the farm, but there are many students out competing for the same job. In my major, students can do a wide variety of things, from being in charge of media relations for a company or be like me and write. As I waited to talk to companies after my competitors did, I walked around and looked for companies that might have a place for me. Then I realized things are changing for the writers, and everyone else.

Some majors in the College of Agriculture are in high demand, while some majors are not. Some companies are starting to cut back and do not give opportunities to the students. Some of the smaller companies that came to Ag Career Day no longer can afford to hire new people, and some companies have gotten rid of their internship programs which help students get their foot in the door. The future is changing and to me it’s not looking better.

Maybe you think I’m just being too particular and need to settle for another job that will let me use my skills. That might be true, but if a student specializes in one area they may not be as proficient in another area that will get them employment. I found a job listing that wants an associate editor but I do not have many editing skills. (Just ask any of my editors). I also do not have great experience with public relations, so some of the other jobs out there will not benefit me or help the companies who want to hire me. If you were the owner of a corporation, would you hire the person with more experience in the area you need help with or the person with less experience?

This will also affect other students not just the agriculture students. Companies are changing with new technology and the students who are graduating and searching for jobs are having a tough time. My father and I have had this discussion because I am now getting ready to graduate and find a job. Even though my father and I will have different careers we both feel the effects of the changing times. The family farm is getting smaller and it is getting harder to keep the family farm. With the factors of weather and market prices the whole economy will be affected and so do the companies that hire college graduates.

Schools will downsize or even combine which will effect the number of teachers being hired. Large feedlots will not hire more workers when they can keep the workers they have and keep costs down.

Yes, there are jobs that a person can get if they really want to. I know that I can work at various places in the agriculture industry but I want to work at a place where I can use the skills that I have gained in four years of college. I want to feel that the money I have paid for my education has been worthwhile, just like everyone else.

Wesley Griffin is a senior in agricultural education from Grand River.