COLUMN:International week a chance to learn

Omar Tesdell

THEY are talking in that other language. You know who I’m talking about. It’s those students who come from other places in the world to study here. You see them, and you wonder what it would be like to talk with THEM.

They sometimes eat rice, plantains or curry lamb. They talk in other languages. They pray in different ways.

They come from cities like Harare, New Delhi, Dubai, Ankara, Seoul, Lagos, Taipei and Oslo. They come from countless religious, ethnic, cultural and racial backgrounds. They come from 115 nations around the world. And they make up, at last count, about 10 percent of the student body.

You see them around campus in your classes. They might be the guys who live upstairs in your apartment building. Or you see them in your dining center, or at Target.

It’s true that international students come to study at Iowa State from a host of cultures and backgrounds. But I have stunning news – they are in fact people, and you can talk with them.

They, too, like to hit Jimmy John’s at 3 a.m., sleep in, laugh hysterically at Lloyd in Dumb and Dumber, enjoy the heat of a March Madness game and pull an all-night Simpsons marathon.

So, what’s the point? International students are not unlike ourselves, and next week is our prime opportunity to get to know them.

It’s called International Week.

It is important and all Iowa State students should know about it. The week is full of interesting things to do.

Today there is an opening ceremony from 11 to 11:30 a.m. south of the Campanile. After the ceremony, head on over to the Great Hall in the Memorial Union for “World on Display.” You’ll find booths set up by international student organizations to tell about their respective nations and cultures. This is a great chance to learn about those people. It’s until 4 p.m.

I like food. If you share in my interest, then Sunday is for you too. Be in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. For a few bucks you can take a culinary trip around the world. Last year I had treats from everywhere from Brazil to Sudan to Japan and plenty of places in between. This year I’m considering fasting for the preceding 24 hours, just so I can eat more.

It’s great food. Many of the vendors have desserts and traditional drinks in addition to the main dishes.

The students slave away for the weekend to make it all happen and it’s a true treat.

Never seen a Chinese film before? Then World Movie Night is for you. Check it out in the Gallery Room of the Memorial Union from 7p.m. to 9 p.m. Wednesday. The movie is called “Not One Less.”

Friday is International Dance Night from 7p.m. to 9 p.m. in the Great Hall. There will be cultural dances and other performances, including readings and a fashion show.

The week ends with the closing ceremony on Saturday, Nov. 10 in the Great Hall. The festivities begin at 6 p.m. and go until 2:00 a.m. The closing ceremony will have cultural performances, an awards ceremony and to close the evening an open dance.

That’s right, you can bust a move to international music with loads of other students, well into the night.

The week is intended to showcase Iowa State’s cultural diversity and build relationships between people of all backgrounds.

The recent attacks and retaliation have strained relations with international students. Legislation is proposed to put serious restrictions on international student visas. People seem to be making rash decisions.

At this time of conflict and anger, the breeding grounds of cultural misunderstanding are fertile.

We have a great opportunity next week to show that Iowa State is a leader in the process of achieving understanding.

It’s more important than ever to take an active role and show your support. You may not know any of THEM. They may speak other languages. But they are just like us.

Check out International Week and before you know it you may be switching pronouns – from “they” to “we.” We are one family after all.

I think it’s appropriate to end with the words of the great Bob Marley – “One Love, One Heart, Let’s get together and feel all right.”

One world, indeed.

Omar Tesdell is a sophomore in journalism and mass communication from Slater. He is online editor of the Daily.