Faculty senate doesn’t support tasers

Samantha Kaufman and Zach Calef

The ISU Faculty Senate decided not to endorse President Gregory Geoffroy’s proposal to arm Department of Public Safety officers with Advanced Tasers.

Before Tuesday’s unofficial 36-25 vote in opposition to the proposal, senate members asked questions regarding the accuracy of the taser guns, the degree of damage the tasers inflict and if the resemblance the taser has to a real gun was ideal.

The final comment, a question asked by Steve Russell, professor of electrical and computer engineering, questioned the effect a taser would have if shot at a person’s eye.

Capt. Gene Deisinger said it would have a very negative effect on the person and could perhaps damage the person’s eye.

Faculty Senate President-elect Max Wortman, distinguished professor of management, said he voted against arming the officers with the tasers.

“I happen to be against guns. I happen to be against tasers,” he said. “They haven’t done enough research on this.”

Wortman said he is concerned about the effects the tasers might have on children, the elderly and pregnant women, as well as the student body and the officers.

He said the tasers are supposed to hit a person in the heart, but they are known to miss their targets, requiring the tips of the cords “to be surgically removed.”

Wortman said the officers are armed with batons, which is more than he would like.

“I would be very much in favor of doing away with those as well,” he said.

Palmer Holden, professor of animal science, voted to accept Geoffroy’s proposal. Holden said many professors work on campus and in the evenings go to their homes, which are protected by armed police officers.

But, he said, students living in the residence halls and faculty and students who work late at night don’t have the same protection because they are protected by unarmed DPS officers.

Max Porter, professor of civil and construction engineering, said he voted to support the carrying of taser stun devices. He said he thought if the weapons could have been made a different color, they would have been a good idea. Porter said he felt the problem was that the tasers are black and look like a gun.

“Overall, I think the taser is a good way to subdue a potential violent act before it occurs,” he said. “In that sense, I think the tasers are worthwhile and would be an appropriate application in certain situations.”

Porter said he felt the last comment about the eye injury occurring just before the voting took place could have had a negative effect on the vote.

Deisinger said he was disappointed in the senate’s vote.

“I was hoping there would be more discussion and questioning by the faculty senate,” he said. “We respect that people have different opinions. I would hope that all of the faculty, staff and students give the issue good consideration.”

Deisinger said most of the audiences he has presented to have been receptive to the taser idea.