Grad thesis deadlines approach

Amy Eaton

Yet another deadline is fast approaching for graduate students in pursuit of a master’s or doctorate degree for fall graduation.

Nov. 30 marks the last date for final oral examinations and for preliminary thesis format checks. Dec. 7 is the last date for final submission of theses.

The graduate college office in 10 Pearson Hall provides the opportunity for students to submit a preliminary copy of their theses for general format checks.

Sue Jarnagin, graduate college thesis specialist, makes corrections and recommendations based on templates and a thesis format checklist provided in the ISU thesis manual.

The checklist includes format check items such as font size, line spacing and citations and checks of organizational standards, such as coherency of text, she said.

“Students are encouraged to bring in their theses for preliminary format checks,” Jarnagin said. “Many students do take advantage of this option.”

The final oral examination is another part of the thesis submission process. A student is required to defend the thesis in front of a committee of faculty from the student’s particular program of study.

Cory Harms, graduate student in business administration, has already defended and submitted his final thesis.

His oral examination lasted more than an hour and consisted of an overhead presentation that summarized his paper, reviewed his thesis questions and explained how he conducted his primary research.

“It feels great to have my thesis done,” Harms said. “It is a big relief.”

Harms said he went into the graduate office three or four times for format checks before he submitted the final copy of his thesis.

Carolyn Payne, program coordinator for the graduate college, said the thesis deadlines are published a year in advance. If graduate students don’t meet the deadlines, they don’t graduate that semester, she said.

“The responsibility of formatting the thesis rests with the students,” Payne said. “Our office is merely a final checkpoint to make sure the thesis meets format and organizational standards.”