Volunteers give their time to help donors

Michelle Ratliff

The number of donors may be a little low so far, but the number of volunteers aiding in “Healing America’s Broken Heart” at this year’s fall blood drive is right on track.

John Hoyt, freshman in art and design, escorted the donors from the donation area to the refreshment table.

“I just need to get them some cookies, a little something to drink – basically just get some energy back into them,” he said.

Volunteers assist at the blood drive for a variety of reasons. Some are getting points for their greek houses, others are getting extra credit for classes and several are helping out of the goodness of their hearts.

Hoyt said he always has been a blood donor, and he wanted to get involved in the volunteering aspect as well.

Dave Wilson helped in the Great Hall because he wanted to find a way to be a part of the action.

“I just thought it would be so cool to be a part of this,” said Wilson, sophomore in animal science. ” . I just wanted to help out.”

Wilson, who also is a member of the blood drive aides committee, checks in donors and directs them to the right place to donate.

Josh Ehlen, sophomore in management, has been volunteering for two years and is now on the executive committee of the blood drive aides.

“We spent two nights interviewing the 60 applicants, and now we have 25 of the best volunteers helping to run things,” he said.

The committee has met once a week since the end of September, Ehlen said.

“We have people behind the canteen, escorting people to and from the refreshment table, at the check-in station, and out on campus handing out flyers, encouraging people to come in and donate,” he said.

While the number of donors has been down from what was anticipated, Ehlen said things have been going smoothly, and he hopes donations will pick up as the week progresses.

“We really just want to encourage everyone to come in and donate,” he said. “Everyone has put a lot of work into making this a success, so we hope to see more people throughout the week.”

Ehlen encouraged everyone to donate blood.

“People can come in anytime between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m.,” he said. “Come in on your lunch break or in between your classes. We will be here.”