Not guilty plea entered for false report charge

Zach Calef

An ISU student who told Department of Public Safety officials she was kidnapped and raped and later admitted to fabricating the case has plead not guilty to filing a false report.

Katie Robb, sophomore in journalism and mass communication, claimed on Aug. 28 that four black males kidnapped her from campus and took her to a wooded area where they raped her. The following day, Robb admitted the report was not true.

Robb said Thursday night that she cannot comment as to why she pleaded not guilty.

Steve Holmes, Story County attorney, said the plea, which was filed at 10:01 a.m. Tuesday, did not surprise him. He said not guilty pleas are “rather customary among all criminal cases.”

He said he could not comment on the specifics of the case because of ethical reasons.

Holmes said filing a false report is a serious misdemeanor with the punishment being up to one year in county jail and up to a $1,500 fine.

Robb also faces possible disciplinary action from the ISU Judicial Affairs Office.

Pete Englin, interim dean of students, said the university has not yet decided if it will hold a hearing for the case.

“We received information from DPS and we’re reviewing it,” Englin said.

He said he could not comment on any details of the case.

Englin said if a decision to hold a hearing is made, the worst punishment Robb could face is suspension from the university.

Robb said she was kicked out of her sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta, 2239 Knapp St., after she admitted fabricating the report.

“It would have made more sense to wait until the courts made their decision,” she said.

Becky Sosalla, president of Kappa Alpha Theta, said Robb’s “membership was terminated” due to her actions. She said members of the sorority are to have “high moral ideals” and “Katie’s actions were not in accordance.”

Sosalla, junior in mathematics, said the sorority does not wait for a court decision before it acts.

“Decisions are made within our chapter,” she said.