And the Clock Struck…

Rose Shultz

If Cinderella would have been at the ISU Homecoming Mass Campaniling, there wouldn’t have been a transformation of gowns to rags or carriages to pumpkins – because the stroke of midnight never happened.

Thousands of students gathered under the Campanile with breath mints in hand and their loved one by their side awaiting the bells, signifying the opportunity for each couple to become “true Iowa Staters.”

When the second hand passed midnight, then three after, then five after, students became somewhat confused, questioning other couples as to whether the traditional midnight magic would happen this year.

“I was so disappointed,” said Matt Large, freshman in mechanical engineering. “I came out here right before [midnight], and I thought I missed it.”

After double-checking their watches, the ISU marching band members decided to take charge by playing the ISU fight song. Fireworks filled the air and students found what they had been waiting for – seven minutes late.

Although the bells didn’t chime, students still enjoyed the tradition of campaniling in many different ways.

Some came with their true love for the first time, waiting for that perfect moment to become “true Iowa Staters.”

“Last year, when I was on a National Student Exchange to California State-Northridge, I fell in love,” said Angela Mahaney, senior in journalism and mass communication. “I had never been campaniling before, and so my fiance flew in from California just today so I could be a true Iowa Stater.”

Not everyone on Central Campus had a significant other to kiss, but many were using the minutes before midnight trying to find one.

“I came in hope to find Sara from my sociology class,” said Ben Cuentas, a freshman in pre-business. “She’s the one I want to kiss, but she just doesn’t know it.”

Certain students didn’t rely on their good looks and fresh breath to find a partner. Hoping to improve their luck, Mark Larson, senior in biology, and Brian Block, senior in philosophy, decided to take their dogs to the event.

“They’re both well trained to pick up some ladies,” Block said.

“And we hope the dogs will Campanile, too,” Larson added.

To add to the diversity on Central Campus, lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender couples were encouraged to attend after Reverse campaniling was discontinued.

“I think that during Homecoming week, people’s school spirit really shows and overshadows many differences,” said Ben Taylor, member of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Ally Alliance and junior in computer engineering. “It’s important for us to be a part of campaniling and come together instead of segregating ourselves with our own campaniling.”

Although most students still enjoyed their 12:07 a.m. kiss, students like Arlene Jimenez, sophomore in animal science, left feeling as if something was not complete.

“I just don’t feel like I am a true Iowa Stater yet,” she said. “I will try again tomorrow.”