Allergies in Iowa no worse than normal, experts say

Michelle Ratliff

Although sneezing, coughing and nose blowing become common in classrooms across campus, this year’s allergies haven’t been any worse than usual, health experts said.

“We really have had the same number of people coming in to get their shots,” said Mary Fosse, program coordinator for the ISU Student Health Center and allergy nurse.

Fosse administers the shots and works with people who have already been diagnosed with allergies.

“The students I deal with have already seen their physicians and know that they have allergies,” she said.

“These students are just coming in to keep up with their prescribed shots.”

Physicians deal with the new cases, Fosse said.

They diagnose students coming in with the runny noses, nasal congestion and other symptoms.

“As far as I am aware, though, I don’t think the physicians have really had an excess of students coming in this season either,” she said.

Robin Orsborn, junior in accounting, said her allergies have been pretty normal this season.

“I haven’t experienced any real problems,” she said. “As long as I take my prescription, I seem to be OK.”

Although Fosse said the number of sufferers has been average, a normal Iowa allergy season may be a bit higher than other places across the country.

“It is pollen and ragweed that cause people such problems,” Fosse said. “Living here, we are going to be exposed to higher levels of that.”

But the season should be on its way out, Fosse said, because levels of pollen in the air drop with the temperatures.

“As soon as we get our first good hard freeze, that will usually put a stop to most allergy problems,” she said.

However, it is not just pollen and ragweed that cause allergy problems.

Fosse said some people who are allergic to dust mites and mold suffer from allergies all year long.

Ellen Bryant, senior in pre-business, said she isn’t quite sure what all she is allergic to, but her allergies never completely go away.

“I am finally on some medication which helps a lot, but I do still have problems with my allergies in the winter, too,” Bryant said.

Although allergy sufferers may be getting a break from their runny noses, things will pick up again in the spring.

“We have another peak season in the spring,” Fosse said. “As soon as the grass turns green and things begin budding out, those allergies pick right back up.”