Family Weekend victories

Andrea Altman

Crowds of ISU students and their families enjoyed beautiful weather and entertainment this weekend, as ISU past and present came together for Family Weekend 2001.

More than 500 people were counted at every Family Weekend event, coordinators said.

“I think this weekend really says what we’re about – and that’s family,” said President Gregory Geoffroy at the Family Weekend Tailgate Saturday before the Cyclones’ 41-0 football victory over Baylor.

Family Weekend committee members said participation surpassed all goals due to increased publicity and great weather.

“It’s been great, and our numbers skyrocketed,” said Matt Bornhorst, special events co-chair for the committee and sophomore in agricultural studies.

Joe Lichty, committee chairman, said the increased participation set a new goal for next year’s Family Weekend.

“It’s going to be hard to beat,” said Lichty, senior in agricultural systems technology.

ISU Alumni Association President Jeff Johnson said he felt much of the weekend’s success was due to Geoffroy’s efforts to reach out to students.

“I can’t say enough about what the president is doing to reach out to everyone, not just the families, but the students,” Johnson said. “Students can’t make it without the support of their family.”

Scott Raymond, committee adviser, said about 500 people watched the hypnotist, 1990 ISU graduate Steve Meade, Friday night in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union.

“We had a lot of people walk in, which was great,” said Raymond, graduate student in education and exercise and sport science. “It was good to see so many students here, even without their families.”

Jessica Ireland, junior in speech communication, said she loved the event.

“I thought it was hysterical,” she said. “[Meade was] probably the best hypnotist I’ve ever seen,”

Dan Mateja of Mt. Prospect, Ill., father of Ryan Mateja, freshman in exercise and sport science, said he had never seen a hypnotist before and thought the show was wonderful.

“My favorite was probably seeing the guys `give birth,’ just seeing their anguish,” he said.

Attendance grew as the weekend progressed. Raymond said about 762 people attended the tailgate Saturday.

Amber Hoyt, special events co-chair, said the committee had to set up 100 extra chairs for the event, which also filled quickly.

“It’s really rewarding to know that we had a lot of support,” said Hoyt, junior in animal science.

Jon McClure, entertainment co-chair, said expectations were surpassed at Saturday’s Casino/Family Fun Night, though actual numbers will not be available for a few days.

Monica Hinkhouse, whose family was selected as the Family of the Year, said she was excited about the weekend’s events.

“I think [Family Weekend] is a great tradition, and it’s great to see families together.”

Monica’s son, Chris Hink-house, senior in agricultural systems technology, said this was the best turnout at Family Weekend in his time at Iowa State.

“I think that’s a good sign of great things to come,” he said.