Meet the 3rd ward council candidates

David Frost

The City Council will see a change in November when, for the first time in 16 years, a new council member will have responsibility for the 3rd Ward.

The 3rd Ward, which represents a majority of the ISU community, will lose councilwoman Ann Campbell.

The candidates running for 3rd Ward, Daryle Vegge and Bonnie Homstad, were asked a series of question to help inform people about goals and issues important to the ISU community.

What are your thoughts on the smoking ban?

Homstad: “I am a non-smoker, so personally, I loved it when there was not smoking in restaurants. But I am not sure how much the city can legislate that to everyone.”

Vegge: “I appreciate people wanting to eat in a smoke-free restaurant, but I am not sure whether it should be able to affect a business.”

How do you think students should be involved with the city?

Homstad: “The students are an untapped resource, and they work so hard, but their first priority is school.”

She said she doesn’t know how to ask more of students than school, but she would like to see students getting involved in the community.

Vegge: “Students should make sure everyone is registered to vote and to vote. If there are particular issues the students feel strong about, they should make their presence felt at the city council [meeting] or contact a council member when necessary.”

What is one main goal you would have in office?

Homstad: “I have always been a civic volunteer. I am running to get the whole community working together. We have been through several issues over the last five or 10 years . and we need to work together as a whole community to tie up some loose ends.”

Vegge: “I have several goals. One is to have the downtown and Campustown areas become more active.”

What is one issue that is important to you during the campaign?

Homstad: “The national economy is going to be important in how it affects our jobs locally and everyone in the city – including Iowa State with their budget cuts. My No. 1 goal is using the funds and resources for the betterment of the community.”

Vegge: “I really don’t have any ax to grind right now driving me to run for city council.”

What other comments do you have for ISU students?

Homstad: “I am looking forward to the discussion and for debates . I am very excited about it.”

Vegge: “Ames is a great town to live in. The university is a big part of what makes it a neat town. I enjoy the nine months of activity and three months of quiet.”