Health center spreads awareness

Michelle Ratliff and Sara Tennessen

Iowa State is promoting healthy living all month in honor of the newly named Thomas B. Thielen Health Center.

Health center staff is working this week to spread awareness on Central Campus. Representatives will be in the Health Resource Tent from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. each day through Friday.

“We spent the day in a tent on Central Campus handing out key chains, pens, all sorts of memorabilia and health information with the new name on it,” said Brian Dunn, health promotions coordinator at the center.

The week is in coordination with the Challenging Students to Become Their Best program, said Lauri Dusselier, coordinator of the event.

“It is something we were asked to do . to promote the new name and to promote health,” she said. “We are placing the tent in locations where we will get a lot of foot traffic, such as right in front of the library.”

The Student Health Center also set up cholesterol screenings, which are available at the center from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. until Oct. 13, Dusselier said.

“Condom Sense,” a presentation on safer sex, will be 7 p.m. Thursday in the Sun Room of the Memorial Union.

“It will be a fun and informative presentation,” said Dunn, who will be speaking.

Dusselier said students will gain a lot of knowledge from Dunn’s speech.

“Brian always does a great job,” she said. “It will be fun as well as interactive with a lot of learning taking place.”

The celebration also will give students a chance to participate in the AIDS Walk, which will take place Oct. 13 at Brookside Park. Registration begins at 9 a.m., and there is a $25 registration fee.

The Student Health Center is co-sponsoring the presentation, “Beer, Booze and Books,” which will be given Oct. 25 in the Sun Room of the Union.

Other sponsors include the Substance Abuse and Violence Prevention Program, Interfraternity Council and other campus organizations.

Student Health Center staff said they are anticipating large crowds at the health-promotion events.

“We have really tried to focus these events around the biggest health issues among students,” Dusselier said.

“We really hope that everyone will come out and celebrate health and learn something, too,” she said.

The events began Sept. 29 with more than 250 people attending the naming of the center ceremony, said James Nelson, Student Health Center director.

“It was a wonderful day,” he said. “We are very proud to have his name on our facility.”

Several speakers, including President Gregory Geoffroy, Board of Regents President Owen Newlin and Government of the Student Body President Andy Tofilon honored Thielen, who served as vice president for student affairs for 20 years, from 1977-1997.

“Thielen was loved by the students,” Nelson said.

“Not only was he a great administrator, he was a great person.”