Mass Campaniling will replace Reverse Campaniling

Cavan Reagan

Last spring, a photograph of two men kissing was displayed on the front page of the Iowa State Daily.

The students were taking part in Reverse Campaniling, part of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Ally Alliance’s Awareness Days. This year, the LGBTAA will not sponsor it.

However, in an attempt to better integrate its members into the ISU community, the LGBT community will take part in the traditional Campaniling events, said Bronwyn Beatty-Hansen, LGBTAA president.

One of the students featured in the photograph in the March 30 issue was Adam Calder, who said he fully supported Reverse Campaniling at the time.

Since then, he’s had second thoughts about its effectiveness.

“I feel that separating ourselves is a bad idea,” said Calder, freshman in liberal arts and sciences. “All we’ve ever wanted is to be a part of society. I’m tired of being in a dark closet – I want to be out there. I want to be with everyone else. I want to show them I’m a valuable, contributing member of society.”

He said a better solution is to integrate the LGBT community into traditional Mass Campaniling Oct. 18.

Last year, a large LGBT presence was at Mass Campaniling, but only about 10 people attended Reverse Campaniling.

“People felt like they were at a freak show, like they’re on display when they’re going against the grain,” Calder said.

Beatty-Hansen said she agrees with this stance.

“By having them together, it will promote acceptance even more,” she said.

The obstacle of drawing enough people to Reverse Campaniling, which took place at noon instead of midnight, became harder to overcome last year due to rainy, cold weather, said Beatty-Hansen, junior in political science.

“More people in the LGBT community go to [Mass] Campaniling,” she said. “I think some felt uncomfortable with the idea of Reverse Campaniling being a separate event, because it is segregating the two communities.”

Calder said he still supports promoting the LGBT community on campus, but Reverse Campaniling was not the best option for the LGBTAA this year.

“I’m all for rocking the boat, especially when it needs to be rocked,” he said. “[But] I don’t want to rub anything in anyone’s face.”